Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

H22a in California

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol (see my signature)

If you want to continue thinking you cant successfully BAR an engine, thats your business but quit spouting that nonsense around here. You are giving out false information. Thanks
Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 11-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H22a in California

I know it can bared ive bared 4 other cars before, my only concern was that its an automatic and i cant find an us spec auto h22 .ecu. Thinking I may have to convert to obd2.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The only thing you can do is to convert to obd2 and get a 97-01 auto ecu.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
lol (see my signature)

If you want to continue thinking you cant successfully BAR an engine, thats your business but quit spouting that nonsense around here. You are giving out false information. Thanks
Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
pretty sure the classes for my cert that i took from a california ref on smog and everything about the bs cali smog laws out rank your one car experience that you have gotten bar'd

so quit giving outdated information

and get updated from this government website thats ran by CARB

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

edit: actually i feel nice enough to qoute the info for you just so i dont have to hear smart@$$ remarks on how its not there

Replacement Engines
Entire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original. If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block.
If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine change.
Engine changes are a modification that must meet certain requirements to be legal (please see "Engine Changes").

Japanese Replacement Engines
Used engines imported from Japan can be used as replacement engines as long as the engine being used has been identified as functionally identical to the original engine. Please refer to the engine importers catalogue to determine if a replacement engine is legal for installation in your vehicle.

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
*The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
*The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
*If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
*All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfy47
pretty sure the classes for my cert that i took from a california ref on smog and everything about the bs cali smog laws out rank your one car experience that you have gotten bar'd

edit: actually i feel nice enough to qoute the info for you just so i dont have to hear smart@$$ remarks on how its not there
Not sure how outdated his info is. I believe his car was BAR'ed earlier this year. Your smog classes are out dated though...lol
Old 11-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
Not sure how outdated his info is. I believe his car was BAR'ed earlier this year. Your smog classes are out dated though...lol
my cert isnt even a year old, so its most likely way less outdated than your certs judging by your join date if you are ASE like your avatar shows...also looks like you didnt refer to the government ran CARB website that i qouted from

go ahead and take a look and read all of it...i can already tell that you need to learn a thing or 2
Old 11-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a few years ago you were able to bar a jdm motor into a a car...but like i said before in this thread time have changed and so have the laws

but yes if you do everything right its not hard to bar a motor
my cert isnt even a year old, so its most likely way less outdated than yours judging by your join date if you are ASE like your avatar shows...also looks like you didnt refer to the government ran CARB website that i qouted from

go ahead and take a look and read all of it...i can already tell that you need to learn a thing or 2
LoL!! First of all son, I have been smoging cars for years, so listen and learn. There have been NO changes to the smog requirements for YEARS. The information you linked from CARB has been the same for at least the last 15 years. NOTHING has changed recently. The JDM clause was ALWAYS there. But referees never enforced it so long as the engine was CA emissions compliant. Then around early 2009 the Refs were told that JDM engines were no longer allowed and that they must follow the rules to a "T" and they did, for awhile. Eventually they relaxed the rules again and people were able to get their JDM engines BAR'ed again. My cert is old but my experience is current.

Get schooled son:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...alifornia+smog
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LoL!! First of all son, I have been smoging cars for years, so listen and learn. There have been NO changes to the smog requirements for YEARS. The information you linked from CARB has been the same for at least the last 15 years. NOTHING has changed recently. The JDM clause was ALWAYS there. But referees never enforced it so long as the engine was CA emissions compliant. Then around early 2009 the Refs were told that JDM engines were no longer allowed and that they must follow the rules to a "T" and they did, for awhile. Eventually they relaxed the rules again and people were able to get their JDM engines BAR'ed again. My cert is old but my experience is current.

Get schooled son:
lol you call me out and then get a rebuttal from me then get continue by getting your panties in a bunch simply because my info was indeed newer

like i said before all is quoted is quoted from a government website and all i have learned in person and in class from my local referee was exactly basically word to word from that site (and i didnt even know about this site until a couple months ago)

so whether SOME refs are passing people with jdm motors or not (because i know that my local ref wont)...it is wrong in big brother Californias eyes and it is still illegal

if you dont like my mind set then go ahead and take it up with CARB (the phone number is on that site) and i will be more than happy to back you up with them changing it to jdm motors being legal in a motor swap in the sence that you are talking about
Old 11-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol you call me out and then get a rebuttal from me then get continue by getting your panties in a bunch simply because my info was indeed newer
It was not newer, I posted the exact same link with the exact same info 2 years ago.

Bottom line, youre a noob, you have your facts confused, and you look foolish trying to argue. Bow out gracefully like a man......
Old 11-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was not newer, I posted the exact same link with the exact same info 2 years ago.

Bottom line, youre a noob, you have your facts confused, and you look foolish trying to argue. Bow out gracefully like a man......
Who said my facts are new?? I simply said that i learned it recently since you claimed it was old and i dont think california would be giving out unworthy certs.

you are the one who seems confused being that you said you have seen and posted the link yourself but claim that it is wrong...maybe its old age

but like i said go ahead and take up your argument with CARB since they are the ones who wrote it and its what Refs are supposed to go by

Very late edit: also about the noob term, i dont think i can be considered that being that i did pass the test in this department given by carb for the cert, thank you very much

Last edited by wolfy47; 11-03-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I think it's great that you're quoting from that site since it confirms that H22A engines can be used to swap into our cars. It's really common sense and completely laid out in your link.

Replacement Engines
Entire engines can be replacement parts. As with any other replacement part, the engine must be identical to the original. If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block.
If the engine is not identical to the original then it is not a replacement part, instead it is considered an engine change.
Engine changes are a modification that must meet certain requirements to be legal (please see "Engine Changes").

Japanese Replacement Engines
Used engines imported from Japan can be used as replacement engines as long as the engine being used has been identified as functionally identical to the original engine. Please refer to the engine importers catalogue to determine if a replacement engine is legal for installation in your vehicle.

Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
*The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
*The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
*If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
*All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450

All that means in bold is that the engine change must have all emissions equipment that you are converting the car to. Since you are converting to an h22a1 car, you must use not only USDM smog equipment but it needs to have all CA smog equipment up to, and including, the L11 and L10 etc etc ecu.

This should be a must.

It's really plain and simple. You may not realize this but the H22A is "functionally identical to the h22a1". That's the key.

I went to Evergreen college in San Jose about 7 times. The 6th time, the ref that had been testing my car for smog and had already passed it for visual had passed away which they temporarily closed that station down so I went to the Alameda college station who passed it for visual but had failed me for smog test. I then went back to Evergreen in San Jose which passed after I changed out my cat.

Here's a picture for you to chew on.
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just make sure CA still let you do Japanese engines swap, then just do it. The ref will tell you what emission parts you are missing comparing to the USDM version. You then can get whatever needed, and go back to the ref and have them take a look again. The only down side is once you go to them, and have not yet pass, your car is no longer smog legal until either you pass or have the original engine put back in. You can still drive around, just cant smog normal when it is time for the smog test.

I had mine done several years ago, not too bad...
Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The best part about the engine change is the $8.50 smog test