Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

fuel problem..too rich

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problem..too rich

I have been having an intermitten problem for about a month but yesterday it was staying pretty constant, I need to figure out what to do.

the problem becomes evident at cruising speeds. Maintaining one speed will cause the car to lose power and sputter a bit. I have an A/F meter(1.5 volt, not wide-band ) Lets call it crap mode. When it is in crap mode the meter pegs at rich, if i downshift sometimes it stays rich or goes down into late stoich early rich (I hope thats clear). It is okay if I accelerate or downshift/decelerate. It was normally clearing up if I just gunned it and got into the turbo a bit, then it would come out of crap mode and the A/F would bounce between lean and rich (normal) I have recently changed plugs and wires. One of my initial thoughts was O2 sensor, and it has been replaced(which isnt actually logical troubleshooting if you think about it). I am using an ERL MF2 and 2 additional injectors for fuel. The first thing I did was to unplug it, thus disabling the two injectors, however the problem remained. Any insights into my problem would be greatly appreciated.

I think it could either be that the injectors are loosing too much fuel, or that the ECU is misreading the O2 signal and thus supplying too much fuel. Intermittenly..

I just had another idea while I was writing this. 2 or 3 months ago, my car wouldnt start, it seemed to be flooded. I popped the hood and i could hear those two add'tl injectors buzzing. I unplugged the MF2 and they shut up. After some cranking the car started. It was just that one occasion, and afterwards the MF2 and injectors worked fine. I know very liitle about injectors, but is it possible that they were damaged and are intermettenly allowing fuel to flow without voltage input.

EDIT:
Finally, my ECU threw a code...I forgot the number ....but it was fuel too rich...

no sh*t... I cant believe it took more than a month to throw a code

so,,, any possibilities....TPS, IAT,,, any ideas