Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Exhaust and muffler help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust and muffler help

Ok I have a 1999 V6 3.0L Honda Accord and still have my stock exhaust on. I'm not going to have this car in like 2 years so I don't want to spend alot of money on it but i really want to put a cat back exhaust on it. First question is how big is my stock exhaust piping because I have no idea how big it is or where to find it and i've looked plenty of places online. I have a guy that can get me stainless steel piping for pretty cheap and im wondering how big I should ask for him to make the piping to the point where it actualyl gives me some performance. The second question is since im goign to make a custom exhaust I need a muffler. I'm going to do a single muffler exhaust instead of dual (stock) so i only need one muffler but I'm not sure what kind I want to get. I like TRD axle back exhaust my friend got on her TC but it was very expensive. My main concern is that I don't sound like a pissed off weed wacker. My motor is bigger so it's going to sound lower but VTEC makes it hard to not so sound like a ricer sometimes. Any suggestions on this topic would be much appreciated. Thanks so much
Old 03-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust and muffler help (cebbeler)

for your first question, i think your stock piping is about 2.25-2.5, the guy thats doing your piping should know, i think i would just stay with 2.25 piping.

your second question, just buy a cheap dynomax or magnaflow muffler from a autozone or something, i had a dyno max on my 94 accord before i got a cat back and it sounded great.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Exhaust and muffler help (thabao)

Wow I didn't know my piping was that big stock... i'm almost impressed haha. So you say magnaflow sounded really nice? Someone mentioned some brands to me: HKS, DC, A-Spec, Apexi, or Greddy.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cebbeler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow I didn't know my piping was that big stock... i'm almost impressed haha. So you say magnaflow sounded really nice? Someone mentioned some brands to me: HKS, DC, A-Spec, Apexi, or Greddy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

of course.... alot people seem to think that only Japanese companies make good parts for their Hondas. Not true.

Magnaflows are really good mufflers. They sound great because they have decent amounts of packing that actually muffle noise. Cheap mufflers always sound raspy and "tinggy"... almost hollow = ricer.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Exhaust and muffler help (not-a-stang)

and thats exactly what I don't want to hear out of my car... thanks alot i'll look into magnaflow.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, magaflow are nice stuff, top quality. dynomax is a littl cheaper than magnaflow and does pretty much the same. for my old accord setup, i got a short ram intake, some megan header, i kept the OE cat, had a mandel bent SS piping that was 2.25", and ended it all with a dynomax. it sounds nice and deep, didnt sound ricey at all.

look into it and research, there are alot of other brands out there you can buy too.

or if you want, apexi sells the world sport 2 muffler alone, for about 180, the apexi noir is also real nice. i have a full cat back apexi ws2 with highflow cat, dc header and injen cai. it's real quiet still but man, when i step on it, that thing can roar!

but yeah haha, just do some research, youtube has alot of videos of the mufflers so you can hear what they kinda sound like!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Exhaust and muffler help (thabao)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thabao &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for your first question, i think your stock piping is about 2.25-2.5, the guy thats doing your piping should know, i think i would just stay with 2.25 piping.

your second question, just buy a cheap dynomax or magnaflow muffler from a autozone or something, i had a dyno max on my 94 accord before i got a cat back and it sounded great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

stock piping is roughly an inch and a quarter (if i remember right, its been a LONG time)
Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a extra 2.5 Inch Stainless Magnaflow high flow muffler, PM me.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Exhaust and muffler help (shortlid)

flowmaster is also a good cheap brand
Old 03-12-2008, 05:12 PM

Do research before you do anything. Exhaust sound is something you don't want to mess up on for being cheap. You will be driving the car and hearing the sound every second of it. Make sure the shop you go to is reliable and know what they're talking about. Flowmasters and megaflow are good brands to go with cheap but very good
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Exhaust and muffler help (shortlid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fw190bvi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock piping is roughly an inch and a quarter (if i remember right, its been a LONG time)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That might be correct for a 4 cylinder accord but I think 2.25 in piping is correct for 6 cylinder models.

Yeah I looked up alot of different cars with magnaflow mufflers/exhaust and it sounds pretty deep and low which is what I want. Even some backpressure sound is nice. Thanks every one for the help
Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 AM

how much horsepower will megan racing headers give you...a estimate?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Exhaust and muffler help (thambi23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thambi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much horsepower will megan racing headers give you...a estimate?</TD></TR></TABLE>

my guess would be 10-15 hp. Gives the car a bit more torque to play around with. Megan racing is known for quality parts I guess but megan racing header and exhaust are debatable. Unless you are paying close to $500 for each header and exhaust I would be careful what you buy.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:10 PM

i bought my headers(meagan racing) for 330$
Old 03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust and muffler help (thambi23)

with a header you get what you pay for, always research and hope for some one to have a graph from the dyno.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 AM

I got megan headers for my 02 coupe v6...havnt installed yet. Don't know any good shops to go to. I'm sure labor will be high as the engine has to be lifted o.0.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 AM

i had a magna flow on my car wish i would of never sold it for my H.K.S. the magna flow was so much deep and smoother sounding
Old 03-17-2008, 11:23 PM

Default Re: (Hobbs94)

you kno whats funny? my whole exhaust system was cheap for like $200 total and it sounded nice as hell, i didnt want to get the ricer fart sound either so i jus did some research on youtube n so on....and mines was also deep n smooth, i took off the silencer so its loud as hell, n also i got it from ebay, it was a japanese exhaust i believe