Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Crooked installation shop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crooked installation shop?

Hello all-

About a month ago, I had a remote starter put on my 2001 Accord EX manual. I bought the CompuStar, which has the ability to work on manual transmission cars. Before I took the car in to have the starter put on, the light bulb had burned out in my cruise control switch on the dash, but I figured it was no big thing since it was only a light bulb. After I got the car back from the installation place, I noticed that the cruise control was not working, so I took it back and of course they said they had not done anything to it that would cause the cruise to stop working. They suggested that the dash cruise control switch could be bad, which is an easy enough fix if that is the case.

Right after I left the install shop, I went down the road to Honda to see what they had to say about it. They carry the cruise control switch for $75, but would not let me return it if it did not fix the problem. They also offered to diagnose the problem for $81, plus whatever cost for parts. I know that I can put in the cruise control switch, I could have even done it right there in the parking lot if they'd let me, but they were being stupid and wouldn't let me try it out.

What is the best thing to do in this case? I have strong suspicion that the install shop did something to the cruise control circuit, but I can not prove that without spending the $81 at Honda to get it diagnosed. So I'm kind of in a catch-22: do I buy the $75 switch and hope it fixes the problem at the risk of losing my $75, or do I spend the $81 to get it diagnosed to prove that the install shop messed it up so that they will pay for the repair at the risk that it is just the switch that went bad? Thanks for your help, sorry this is so long.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crooked installation shop? (poorboy760)

I'd have Honda diagnose the problem for 81 bucks. In any case, this will totally solve the problem and it might not be the cruise control switch in itself, and that would be throwing $75 out the window. And, if they did do something wrong, the installation shop will be stuck with the bill.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Crooked installation shop? (msedacca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by msedacca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd have Honda diagnose the problem for 81 bucks. In any case, this will totally solve the problem and it might not be the cruise control switch in itself, and that would be throwing $75 out the window. And, if they did do something wrong, the installation shop will be stuck with the bill. </TD></TR></TABLE>

AGREE 100%
Old 02-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Before you go all "professional victim" on us, could you PLEASE check the fuse(s).
Particularly the #4 * 7.5amp Fuse marked ECU, ECM TCM (center row / 4th down) in the Interior Fuse Box. As a matter of fact; check them all.
While you're at it, check that the Stop Light Switch is properly adjusted (It can keep the cruise from engaging.

Another reality check; that cruise control bulb never blows out. Did you check if the Cruise Control System worked, BEFORE you submitted it for the Remote Start install?

P
Old 02-04-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Crooked installation shop? (P_Adams)

Thanks for the replies. The install shop looked at the fuses when I had it in there the second time, said they were fine; I'll look at them again myself though to make sure.

I did have the brake switch replaced right after I had the remote starter put in, because the brake switch had been bad for some time. The switch seems to be working just fine now (brake lights work correctly, remote start turns off if you hit the brake with no key in the ignition). I'm not sure if this is the same thing as the stop light switch, I'm assuming so? How do I tell if it's adjusted correctly? I searched for this, and didn't find any topics relating to it.

And yes, the cruise control was working shortly before the install, even though the light bulb in the switch did blow. The bulb went out but the system was still working properly. Is it uncommon for the bulb to go out on its own?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure they didn't detch a vacuum line to the cruise by accident.