Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Clutch Fluid Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Fluid Leaking

Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 Honda Accord Coupe EX. For the past few months, I've noticed that my clutch pressure was very low and the clutch pedal would depress very easily to the ground. I noticed the clutch fluid was very low and hence I would refill and then pump the clutch and things would be alright. Firestone had said the slave cylinder needed to be replaced since it was leaking fluid.

This morning, after not using my car for a week and being that the weather was frigid. I started the car up, the clutch pressure seemed very low but definitely still pumpable and not completely to the ground, but I couldn't get the car into gear when the engine was on. When the car was off, i could switch gears, but with the car on I couldn't. At first I didn't think it was the clutch fluid.. I revved the car up quite a few times as some people had said on forums..that did work for a while..i was able to shift gears...yet still after a little while, it would be hard to switch. I then decided to just refill the clutch fluid...and after waiting for a bit..and pumping the pedal, it seemed to work.

This time around, I took my car to AAMCO and they just told me that I need both the slave and master cylinders replaced and it will cost 674 + tax coming out to $722.00.

Do you guys think this is reasonable? How do I know what I should actually replace? I think they're overcharging me and what are the risks if I don't get it replaced right away and just replenish the clutch fluid? Please let me know if there are things I can check to figure out which part actually needs replacing?

Thank you very much!

-pri
Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Fluid Leaking

That seems quite expensive...I have the same issue going on with my accord. I will be purchasing both parts off ebay for around $50 shipped.It does not take very long at all to fix either...
Old 01-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was working on my car today and just by chance I opened up the clutch reservoir and it was empty. Looks like it has been empty for a little while. I did a visual inspection and didn't see any leaks. I'm gonna top up the reservoir and do a bleed tomorrow. I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days and see if it goes down or not.

By the way, it's always good to shop around for prices. If you have to time to call around or even go into a few garages you could maybe save yourself some money. A lot of prices vary because most of the time it's the labour cost that gets you. Try to find an honest shop to give you a competitive quote.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by UTlondon
Hi Guys,

This time around, I took my car to AAMCO and they just told me that I need both the slave and master cylinders replaced and it will cost 674 + tax coming out to $722.00.

-pri
seems super expensive if you ask me, the parts are like 30 bucks for both the master and slave cylinders. the slave cylinder is on the front of the transmision and i can remove and replace that in like 3 three minutes.. as for the master cylinder ive never had to replace one but it sits underneath the resevoir(correct me if im wrong) so i cant imagine it being that hard probably a couple bolts. but yea if you look up a diagram of a clutch line its really simple so no i wouldnt pay that price. remember though, they are a business and theyre trying to make profit.

all in all..do it yourself.. you'll learn a few things and if you ever have this issue again you wont be paying out the nose

(make sure you got someone willing to bleed the line once you are done.)
Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I flushed out all the clutch fluid(brake fluid DOT3) today as it was BLACK! I replaced the lines with fresh fluid and bled the slave cylinder. I gonna watch it for a few days and look for leaks.

Tip; Bleeding the slave cylinder takes forever by yourself, definitely get a buddy to help you with it.