Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Axle problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle problem?

Hey guys, i got into a little problem tonight on my way home. As I pulled out of the parking lot, when I turn, my car would making that clucking noise, and the whole car would shake as if you have a broken axle. Even if I didnt press the gas, as the car roll and turn, it would shake and making that noises. So I drove slowly home, roughly 35miles, without any issues since I was driving straight most the time. When I exit, I made a hard, but very slow right turn, I heard two clucking noise and then its gone after that. I drove around my neighborhood parking lot, making turns with and without pressing the gas, and the noise and the shaking were gone. I inspected the cv boot, none of them are bad.

Any idea what is going on? Is it my axle getting ready to die or something else I should be worry?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Axle problem?

Even if the boots aren't torn the grease inside gets old and stops working, thereby causing the axle to wear and break down. While normally it's a bad boot that does the axle in, the axle will fail eventually unless the grease is periodically cleaned out and replaced...somewhere around every 4 years or so I would guesstimate.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I'm at the mechanic this morning and he couldnt find out whats wrong. We lifted up n put in gear and turn, there are no noise or anything. It only happen when the car on the ground.

Edit, just changed the trans oil and the oil came out gray milky color. Any ideas what's going on?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Trial User

Popping is always axles unless you have a clutch based limited slip differential, which you don't. Sometimes noises can happen if the axles pop out of their inner joint. I've only heard of this though when someone didn't pop them in all the way on a del sol. Though it may be possible if they are popping in and out if inner c clips are bad or not even there from installation.. Just a thought
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I do have a clutch based LSD. But usually after the trans get hot, the noise go away, and its only happen when I press the gas and turn. This time I wasn't in gear and it make horrible noises when turning. Ever since I switch to the penzoil synchromesh fluid, the noises and shaking was gone, cold or hot. I'm waiting to replace two axle now and see if that will fix it. =\
Old 02-21-2013, 02:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It would make sense that if it does it when the car isn't in gear it's more likely the axles not the tranny
Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I sure hope it just the axle going bad. But what about the white milky color trans oil? I have a stickshift, so I believe there is no coolant line run into the transmission. I did see some coolant leak, but it for the lower hose that I need to replace. Would that have anything to do with it?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dtran002
I sure hope it just the axle going bad. But what about the white milky color trans oil? I have a stickshift, so I believe there is no coolant line run into the transmission. I did see some coolant leak, but it for the lower hose that I need to replace. Would that have anything to do with it?
MTF is basically motor oil. It should NEVER be milky colored. Replaced it asap and figure out how in the heck it has water in it.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, just replaced both axle, and the damn problem still there. The mechanic said most likely the differential is broke. The car can drive straight without any issue, but it only happen when turning. He recommended to get another trans, but I told him that just replace the lsd. He said something about the differential is included in this trans and need to replace the whole unit, or maybe I misunderstand him.

So I just wondering if I can order another lsd and have him put it in and would fix the issue or should I listen to him and replace the whole thing?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I guess it's safe to assume you don't have a warranty. Can you describe if you bought the lsd tranny as a whole, or had the lsd assembly added and when ? Who's the maker of all the parts? This could be useful to future readers of this thread.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey "dtran002", I had a very similar problem just like yours. I thought about posting on here put I decided to just post on a Gen 2 Integra dedicated forum. G2IC, have you heard of it. Anyway, here is the link to my thread which I started. I fixed the problem put have not exactly pin point the problem. Check it out and if you have any questions post.

http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.ph...b&goto=newpost
Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Holmesnmanny,
I bought the trans as non lsd and added the lsd later. I do not remember what kind of lsd, and yup it been 6 years since I got that.

Beto 20DA,
Thanks for the link. The mechanic did checked everything out, all of my suspension related parts are in good shape.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, question regarding transmission. I am thinking of getting another tranny, cheaper one so I probably go with the Honda Accord trans. I heard it not a good idea. I have searched around, but dont understanding much about gear ratio. If I get the accord tranny, would my rev be higher or lower, power loss a lot or just a little comparing to the H22 and the 5th gear, would that leave me in higher rev?