See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Accessory belt issues 1997 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessory belt issues 1997 Accord LX

Car: 1997 Honda Accord LX F22B2 bone stock.

I am having a weird problem with my alternator and a/c belt. I just replaced it about three weeks ago.

After about two weeks it started to squeal upon cold startup and that was it. It would not squeal any time else.

I noticed that on the timing belt cover beside the crank pulley that it is worn there from what appears to be from the belt, but when the car is running (idle) it does not appear to rub at all.

I checked both the a/c and alternator to see if they may have any kind of extra resistance and they are both perfect. The tension on the belts is fine. The crank pulley is tight and there are no blemishes on any of the pulleys either.

Does anyone out there have any insight to what this may be. I am completely stumped and don't know where else to look for the problem.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have somebody sit and rev it while you watch. see if you notice anything at that time. things tend to shift under acceleration/usage. could be something you don't see at idle.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Accessory belt issues 1997 Accord LX (RiceRocketDave)

run a wire brush along the belt while its running. we have the same problems here at land rover. if that doesnt work we just replace the belts.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Accessory belt issues 1997 Accord LX (CLMTFabEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CLMTFabEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">run a wire brush along the belt while its running. we have the same problems here at land rover. if that doesnt work we just replace the belts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What exactly will that do?
Oh and this is the 2nd brand new belt this has happened to so I doubt its a bad belt.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:29 PM
ate my pixel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Belt dressing can stop them from squealing, but the best bet is just to tighten them.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the problem with the belt rubbing the timing cover is caused by either the gasket is missing from the timing cover or the cover has bowed out.
When I replace those T-belts I always put a 3/4" 'E'-clip on the tensioner nut head in place of the rubber ring to help keep the cover from bowing.
And that drive belt tension should be "banjo string" tight.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Accessory belt issues 1997 Accord LX (hondadude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondadude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the problem with the belt rubbing the timing cover is caused by either the gasket is missing from the timing cover or the cover has bowed out.
When I replace those T-belts I always put a 3/4" 'E'-clip on the tensioner nut head in place of the rubber ring to help keep the cover from bowing.
And that drive belt tension should be "banjo string" tight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I looked at that and saw no bowing at all. The tension has roughly 1/2" of play in the largest span the belt runs without touching a pulley. It is for sure not the tension. Two mechanics have looked at it and agreed.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord2021 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Belt dressing can stop them from squealing, but the best bet is just to tighten them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you read anything I posted? The tension is perfect.
Explain to me how belt dressing would solve a prematurely wearing belt? Yes it may solve the squeak that occurs for a whopping 10-15 seconds upon startup, but thats not going to solve the wear problem.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think one of the pulleys is either not in line with the others (bent bracket), or is binding (not turning freely).
Old 04-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Accessory belt issues 1997 Accord LX (BLKFLSH)

I am thinking the same thing. Unfortunately the only one left is the crank pulley. It appears to be fine at idle, but who knows under a load at speed.

I am taking it to the place who installed my a/c compressor this Thursday to see what they think. I am completely stumped with this one. Its the first time in 6 years of owing this car where this has happened too. Needless to say it is extremely frustrating.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RiceRocketDave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What exactly will that do?
Oh and this is the 2nd brand new belt this has happened to so I doubt its a bad belt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

we get rovers in all the time with squeaky belts and running a wire brush on the belt scuffs off the glaze on the belts.....sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RiceRocketDave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am thinking the same thing. Unfortunately the only one left is the crank pulley. It appears to be fine at idle, but who knows under a load at speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>For the drive belts, it's simply speed, not engine load. When the engine is under load, the alternator belt isn't under any more load than revving in neutral at the same RPM.

You watch the belt closely while someone starts the engine. It should make the noise, right? You're looking for something like a loose alternator bracket that allows the alternator to flex inward causing the belt to rub on the timing cover. Or maybe suddenly revving the engine will make the problem visible.