Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Metal shavings on serpentine belt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal shavings on serpentine belt?

Went out to check fluid levels, mounts, and belts. I noticed my Serpentine belt looked like it's ready to be change, but I also noticed small gold looking metal shavings in between the groves on the belt. This is on a 2006 Honda Accord V6 6MT, I did have the power steering hose feed recall done a few months ago, don't know if that might be where it came from. One pulley looks shiny but it's chrome looking, and it runs on the outside of the belt not on the side with the groves. Anyone know anything about this? They are very small flakes, if it wasnt for the flashlight catching it at the right angle I would have never noticed them.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Metal shavings on serpentine belt?

2006 Honda Accord Ex V6 6MT 150,000 mi

Ok, so I did some looking on the interweb and heard previous problems like tensioner pulley, inside of the alternator grinding. So I went back out and had a better look. I seen what looked lilike fresh shiny metal on the groves of the alternator pulley, as well as the tensioner pulley looking wobbly. I hope they are related and not separate issues. I've never messed with the Serpentine belt before, so I want to check one more thing. The bigger bottom pulley towards the headlight is spinning, but the fan closest to the pulley keeps kicking off and on, when that happens the outside part of that pulley starts spinning as well. I hope that's normal.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bit confused by your post....one part makes me think you are talking about the ac compressor - when it While it is off, spin each of the pulleys by hand and see if you feel any "hard spots" on any of them.

Can't remember right now - and too lazy to look, sorry - but I think the tensioner has a pointer on it....if the pointer is outside of the range when the car is running, you really need to change the belt and then re-check the pointer.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, sorry it is the A/C, not the Alternator. I got busy checking for a belt, and pulley. The tiny almost gold looking flakes freaked me out, and I got to work on finding parts. Either way the belt needs replaced, and the pulley is fairly cheap, so once I get the parts I'll check all the other pulleys. I'm definitely gonna have to check the pointer tomorrow, thanks for that.