Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

97 Ex: DIY Alarm install? I looked through stickies and no luck :/

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Icon6 97 Ex: DIY Alarm install? I looked through stickies and no luck :/

Ive seen some alarms on Amazon that arent too pricey and I would like to give it a shot. I have a 97 Ex and I figured $40 isnt much for an alarm.
Ive wired stereos and woofers so I have basic wire knowledge. Now I would like to give this a shot!

Any DIY links? I mainly want to do it for the power locks lol.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97 Ex: DIY Alarm install? I looked through stickies and no luck :/

All you need are wiring diagrams and a place to mount the key-less entry unit.

Although it's for a 94 accord it is the same generation so you should be good.
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1033.html

If you do it, make a DIY because I need to install mine.

Which reminds me I have a commando key-less entry bought a few years ago and I have to install it in my car , I think I'm scared I'll mess something up
Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the steering column lower trim cover. It should snap off with no tools. Zip tie the alarm module to the metal bracket. All the wires that you need to pigtail off for the alarm are right there including keyless entry if your alarm has it.

Cheers!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HonBeer
Remove the steering column lower trim cover. It should snap off with no tools. Zip tie the alarm module to the metal bracket. All the wires that you need to pigtail off for the alarm are right there including keyless entry if your alarm has it.

Cheers!
Incorrect. You'll break off the screw that's behind the coin tray.

OP, I spent about 3-4 days doing a DEI (Clifford/Python/Viper) alarm install in my '96 Accord not including prep work of figuring out what wires go where and what they do.

It really isn't an easy task if you want it done correctly. I also spent ~$350 on the alarm and the additional sensors. That said, when all was done it was a pretty awesome alarm install and worked incredibly well.

The Audio/Video/Security section on H-T has some of the guides and I googled some additional ones. HondaSociety also has a few IIRC; any local alarm installer has access to DEI's system of wiring guides as well which are tailored for each car.

To do it right you should not do as HonBeer suggests and just strap it in that location - everyone knows about it and it is the first place someone would look for one to cut power to.

I think I had the following:
- DEI backup battery
- DEI glassbreak sensor
- DEI mecury switch
- DEI digital tilt sensor
- DEI horn
- Python 990 (remote start, 2 way page, etc)
Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Incorrect. You'll break off the screw that's behind the coin tray.

OP, I spent about 3-4 days doing a DEI (Clifford/Python/Viper) alarm install in my '96 Accord not including prep work of figuring out what wires go where and what they do.

It really isn't an easy task if you want it done correctly. I also spent ~$350 on the alarm and the additional sensors. That said, when all was done it was a pretty awesome alarm install and worked incredibly well.

The Audio/Video/Security section on H-T has some of the guides and I googled some additional ones. HondaSociety also has a few IIRC; any local alarm installer has access to DEI's system of wiring guides as well which are tailored for each car.

To do it right you should not do as HonBeer suggests and just strap it in that location - everyone knows about it and it is the first place someone would look for one to cut power to.

I think I had the following:
- DEI backup battery
- DEI glassbreak sensor
- DEI mecury switch
- DEI digital tilt sensor
- DEI horn
- Python 990 (remote start, 2 way page, etc)
Mr. MuffinMan speaks the truth... Listen to this guy OP.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a $20 DIY alarm I bought at a flea market, I installed it in my car and had it for about 8 years, but then my friend gave me a 2-way paging Prestige alarm, so I uninstalled it and put the DIY in my brother's prelude, and its still going strong.

Properly hiding the alarm is the ultimate key to its security. Pull apart your dashboard as far as you can get to stick it as deep in the dash as you can. All the generic installers (eg Bestbuy) will do a crappy job of hiding it. Get as creative as you can. What you want to do is bury it so deep that a theif would not have time to get that far into the dash to disable it.

Another tip, I bundle all the wires and wrap them all with black electrical tape. That way, if a novice theif is looking on the wires, it makes it a little harder to figure out which wires are which.

Another pet-peeve I have of generic installers is putting the horn in direct visible reach in the engine compartment, obvious with a single wire running to it. With a clip of the wire, the alarm is silenced. I bury my alarm deep. Even knowing where my alarm is, if you are looking in my engine, you will not find it nor the wire running to it.

Get those 3 sensors that MuffinMan recommends. Sensors are generic, so you dont have to worry too much about sticking to the correct brand. I bought my sensors on ebay. I turn down the sensitivity of my alarm because those 3 sensors work great as additional protection.

I still need to get a backup battery for mine though. That is the weakest point of my system right now. I really need to put in a separate kill switch as well for those extra times when I want a slight extra layer of security.