Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 Accord Evaporator Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Accord Evaporator Replacement?

Hi,

I have been having problems with my A/C...I had it dye-tested by the dealer. At that time, they said that it was just an O-ring, which was replaced. It then got warmer over the next month or so. I took it back in to the dealer, they looked at it, and said that "the evaporator is broken...the coolant looks like gel inside".

Anyways, I am broke, and don't want to pay the $700 CDN that they said it would cost to replace it. But I have some questions on doing it on my own:

1) Is "replacing the evaporator" equal to replacing the evaporator core?

2) If that's true - is it easy to replace the core once I have the old evaporator out, I mean, is the evaporator easy to take apart? I have my Haynes manual which tells me how to get the evaporator out, but not how to replace the core.

3) I know I should have the system evacuated/recharged by a professional, and I know this should cost about 100US or so....but how does this work. I go BEFORE working on the car, have them evacuate it, replace my evaporator, and then go back and have it cleaned/recharged properly?

Thanks a lot.
Macdian
Old 07-24-2005, 08:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 94 Accord Evaporator Replacement? (macdian)

at the very least you have to remove the center console and dash to get to it. IT is a pain in the rear. the coolant being gell inside does not mean the evaportar is bad. IF it has a leak it need to be replaced otherwise they can chemically flush it and recharge the system after replacing the dissccant (receiver/dryer)
Old 07-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Accord Evaporator Replacement? (YeuEmMaiMai)

Yeah, the dealer told me it had to be replaced...I wasn't entirely sure about the whole "gel" comment and whether or not that was supposed to be connected to the replacement of the evaporator. So I assume from their description that it somehow has a leak or something. I should call them tomorrow to clarify this.

I don't think you do have to rip apart the consol, etc...you just have to remove the glove box and glove box frame.

I would still appreciate answers to my above question, though.

Macdian
Old 07-24-2005, 12:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 94 Accord Evaporator Replacement? (macdian)

the evaporator is behind the dash and the reason it costs so much to replace is because there is a lot of time invoved in getting to it and putting everything back.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Accord Evaporator Replacement? (YeuEmMaiMai)

Thanks.

Thanks for the detailed diagram. It doesn't look like replacing the core would be hard, but I wonder if the core is the problem, or if there is a leak within the evaporator elsewhere.

I guess I'll have to figure that out with the dealer maybe. Also, I still need to know the following:

3) I know I should have the system evacuated/recharged by a professional, and I know this should cost about 100US or so....but how does this work. I go BEFORE working on the car, have them evacuate it, replace my evaporator, and then go back and have it cleaned/recharged properly?

Old 07-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yo mac the job is not that bad and contrary to what yeu says you dont have to remove the centr console or dash to replace evaporator

you need to remove the glove box , the bracket , disconnect the drain hose , remove the 2 bands, remove the 3 nuts ,,but first you need have a shop evacuate the a/c system tell them you will go back to recharge ,,once system is empty first thing you do is disconnect the suction and discharge lines from evap sticking through firewall on pass side of car mmthen go to the inside and do what i wrote before ,,once evap is out follow the picture up above to r+r once you are all done take back to shop to recharge you might want to replace the foam insulators as well
Old 07-24-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by the way the labot to replace it should be around 2.5 to 3 hrs evap ??? you got r134a freon so it is around 10-15 dolars lb.. call a dealer and ask how much the evap costs

$ 700 sounds way too much