Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2000 Honda Accord stops while running

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Honda Accord stops while running

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone can help me with my problem. I have a 2000 Honda accord with roughly 175,000 miles on it and I'm having some electrical issues that no one seems to be able to figure out. My car seems to die while running. First the radio shuts off, then the headlights go dim. After that all the dash lights come on, the car starts to drag until it comes to a complete stop. The first time this happened i was on my way home from school and was lucky enough to pull over into a parking lot before it completely died. I had a tow truck tow it to a local shop about a block away. I picked up my car two days later they claimed the alternator died and in return killed my battery. The exact same situation occurred two days later on my way home from work. I was able to take an exit off the interstate. The car died at the stoplight at the end of the off ramp. The cops called a tow truck and I had it towed home since it was late at night and I had no where else to take it. After talking to my roommates and the original mechanics, I had it towed again back to the shop before (the shop covered the cost of the tow and all other costs of repair). Again they replaced the battery and alternator. They claimed it was a bad alternator. About a month or so later the exact same situation happened again. Radio shuts off, headlights go dim, dash lights came back on until it stops. This time I was in my apartment parking lot. I went to advanced auto and found a local mechanic (hi did not work for the company) who volunteered to look at my car. He checked my battery and it was fine, checked my alternator and the alternator was fine. He performed a parasitic draw and found none. So he came to the conclusion that there was a bad ground somewhere. He added a new ground wire connecting the negative terminal of my battery to the bolt that connects my egr valve to the engine itself. We thought it was fixed but I was still hesitant to drive it. Over the course of the week it was driven approximately 20 miles. When I was comfortable and thought it was fixed the exact same issue happened again in my apartment parking lot. I don't know what to do. I've been driving my roommate's car taking them to and from work so I can get to and from work. This whole ordeal started just before Halloween and the last instance of it dying was the week of Christmas. Oh and after sitting a while, it'll start up but it doesn't last long. It's currently been sitting in my parking lot for over a week so I'm sure if I start it up it'll run but once I start moving it won't be long before it dies. I love my car and I want it back. I take real good care of it. ... The only codes on it is for my ABS which have been out for over a year. I also live near an ocean in a major city with lots of stop and go traffic. I don't know if these factors have an effect or not. I can't afford to keep taking it to mechanics and having them not fix it. I'm thinking about taking it to a dealer but I can't afford that at the moment. Can someone help me please?
Old 12-30-2016, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Honda Accord stops while running

I have a 2000 Accord with 189kmiles. I have not experienced your problem but it sounds like you checked a couple of the most likely things. If you have a check engine light, you can borrow a scan tool and find out what the stored trouble codes are for free at any auto parts store like Autozone. They can even tell you the likely causes of the codes that are found. It seems likely to me that it could be your fuel pump. If your distributor has oil on the outside of it, it might be your distributor needs to be replaced (you can get a new aftermarket one delivered from 1aauto for $113 - mine has been in for over a year working perfectly). If I was you, I would watch some of the Scotty Kilmer YouTube videos "Fixing a Honda that died on the Road" and "Fixing a car that randomly dies while driving" and "Fixing a car that shuts off randomly"
Old 12-31-2016, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Honda Accord stops while running

I cannot tell if 2000 Accords were actually recalled for this issue but my '99 was and the dealer fixed it. I ignored the recall until the car quit on me at 60 plus on a freeway.

This detailed link speaks mostly about doing the R&R oneself. But if Iwere you I'd check to see if your VIN has any recalls or TSBs in this situation.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...ement-2353017/