Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2000 Honda Accord SE Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 02:11 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Honda Accord SE Starting Problems

Ok so I will try to be as detailed as I can while trying to explain this. Last night I was sitting in my car, engine on, car in park, at an idle talking with a friend for about 30mins. Turned the car off, went inside, then back to the car to park it in the back of the house. Stuck the key in, turned it, nothing. Dash lights work so I’m like dead battery. I try jumping the car, go to start mine, now no dash lights and no sounds. Test my battery, alternator (even though if my battery is good it should start my car and the alternator keeps it running), and tested the connection part of my starter. (Followed the wire from the positive terminal cable on battery). Battery tests good, and the starter connection is testing good when I set this little 7 dollar tester thing to 12v (will attach photo). So I’m like hmm? Fast forward to next day, I attemp to start car and nothing. No dash lights nada. I again try to jump it. Nothing. So being frustrated I turned my key from the II position back to I and so fourth maybe 3 times and all of a sudden dash lights work, radio works, all that good stuff....but still nothing at the III position (ignition). So I’m like oh it’s my ignition switch. But then I read somewhere that if you hear a click when you turn to the III position your ignition switch isn’t the problem. Well when I turn my key to try and start the car I hear a small click like sound coming from like my dash almost on the pass side. So I’m like ok...maybe it’s not. Upon probing fuses with a little screwdriver light thing with a ground wire on an alligator clip, I notice my #13 fuse driver side labeled #13 7.5A Starter Signal doesn’t activate the light on my probe. So just to check before I look stupid I hold my probe to the fuse and turn the key. Still no light. I put in one of the extra fuses and still no light on the probe. So later in the evening after I have my whole steering covers and what not popped off I decide to follow this mysterious on off switch which is just a small circle switch labeled the O and I located beneath my radio, and little storage compartment (aftermarket radio) and below coming out the roof inside my little cubby in front of gear shift. Two red wires from that, that lead to my ignition switch wires...and I notice a wire that has been (for lack of better word) spliced into my ignition wires and connects to a XpressKit 8617 Relay 40 Amp fuse or whatever with lots of black elec. tape. So my question is, could this be why my car isn’t starting? Bad switch? Could it be a kill switch installed with a previous owner and not making connection properly somewhere in there causing this? Mind you a few days before Christmas I had some issues with the car stalling at an idle at a stop light, or after I put it in drive and go to drive away from leaving it at an idle while I was at the atm. Where should I start? Any suggestions?