Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 3.0L - Cranks No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 1999 Honda Accord EX V6 3.0L - Cranks No Start

I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX V6 3.0L that Cranks but doesn't Start. Sometimes it sputters like its about to start but then dies. The issue started by stalling every now and then while driving and it would also usually take a long crank to start up.

Then I started throwing parts at it.. I ran the OBDII scanner and got a bad engine coolant temp sensor code. Replaced that. It stalled while driving again so we put in a new fuel pump. It ran good for a few more days then stalled while driving again. So I read about the Ignition switch going bad(recalled) so we replaced the mechanical part as advised.

After replacing the ignition switch we started it in the driveway a few times and let it run. It idled fine but still had the hard start issue. The next day my dad drove it and only got a block away and it died. It would not start anymore. We pushed it back home and here it sits. We also just changed the main relay with a brand new one even though mine looked pristine. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Video of issue

TL;DR
1999 Honda Accord EX
V6 3.0L
Mileage: 207,800

Cranks No Start - Hard Start - Tests Ran
  • Checked for spark at plug wires - Has spark
  • Can hear the fuel pump prime
  • Fuel Injectors show pulse when cranking
  • No more OBDII codes
  • No CEL

Parts Replaced Recently:
  • Coolant Temperature Sensor
  • Fuel Pump
  • Ignition Switch Electrical part
  • Main Relay
Old 03-31-2017, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1999 Honda Accord EX V6 3.0L - Cranks No Start

Basic principles. Spark+Fuel+Air= Fire. For an IC engine, Air= Compression+Timing. Doesn't sound like you've done anything with timing or compression, so start with the other two.

Check fuel pressure at the rail. Pump running usually means pressure, but not always. If you don't have one, it's a $20 kit from Harbor Freight. One of those fittings matches the Honda fuel rail service port. Don't forget teflon tape on the gage fittings.

Spark check- Did you do the 'spark plug held to ground' method? I just went through a hard lesson on that... you can get a spark in atmosphere while getting no spark in the cylinder, if the coil is weak (and btw the coil will still pass all of the resistance checks in Haynes). Try it with a spark tester, or with plugs installed and use a timing light. If the light flashes, the spark is firing. If it doesn't then your spark is weak.

Start with those two (start with spark, the more likely the problem) and see what you get.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to be clear, weak spark voltage has a number of causes, not just the coil...
Old 03-31-2017, 11:15 PM
Trial User

Before you goes off and dive into all sort of things. First thing you should do, is to verify if your engine will turn over by hand or not. This can be done with the same lug wrench that comes with the car, put it on the nut where the power steering pulley is. And try to turn the engine by hand. "I recommend turnning it the same rotation as your starter to avoid any uneccessary" On a V6 it should be inward since your starter is engage in clockwise. If it turn easy, then you can move on to fuel, air, and ignition. If it's hard, I would start by looking inside the timing belt inspection hole and verify the belt. If needed, you might need to open your intake valve cover, and see what's really going on inside, and re-check all your cam shaft. Start with the easy steps first. Verify before you take in the whole world advice.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Deryll, any luck with getting your Honda going? I experiencing the same issues with a 200 Accord 3.0. Thanks, Red
Old 07-26-2017, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Reds Rod Shop
Deryll, any luck with getting your Honda going? I experiencing the same issues with a 200 Accord 3.0. Thanks, Red
I wish I had some good news for you but it has turned into a failed project. Although, I am pretty sure it was the crank or TDC sensor that was not allowing spark.

What we ended up doing was changing both the crank and TDC sensor which required removal of the timing belt. I don't recommend this job to any one without a shop and/or substantial mechanic knowledge because after we reassembled everything we discovered that the timing was off but we do finally have spark now. So with the timing being wrong it still wont start.. It's been months with a broken car in the driveway and many hours invested. We may take the belt off again to readjust the timing but after all of the nightmares this car delt me, I might just see how much I can get for it and get it out of here lol.

I will say I have learned a bunch of great lessons about cars no matter how bad the struggle was and I know that next time I run into such a complex issue I will be taking it to the mechanic lol.

here are a few videos that may help you troubleshoot your issue and help you decide if it is something you will like to take on yourself.