Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1993 Accord EX - Spark plug tube O-rings

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Accord EX - Spark plug tube O-rings

Hi, had the spark plug tube o-rings replaced by a mechanic because oil was in each spark plug tube cylinder. After the repair, there is still oil in the spark plug tubes. I know some videos online that sealant is used in addition to the o-rings to stop the leaks, but Eric the Car Guy says not to use sealant, that it can clog the oil passages and that the o-ring is specifically designed for that particular application by itself. Any ideas on how the oil is still getting past the o-rings or how to fix? Thanks.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 1993 Accord EX - Spark plug tube O-rings

It could be improper valvecover gasket torque, it could be a defective gasket, it could be the mechanic billed you for parts he didn't buy or install.

ETCG probably recommends no RTV because most people don't give it enough time to cure, and use way too much. If you can wait 24hrs for it to fully cure, I see nothing wrong with putting a light skin of RTV on the spark tube seals. That said, when I did my VC gasket I only applied RTV on the corners of the gasket and have only negligible weeping in the spark tube seals.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: 1993 Accord EX - Spark plug tube O-rings

I remember when these cars were fairly new and they had a light coat of Honda bond on the tube seal.