Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1991 Accord, steering wheel 'shaking' - squealing noise when turning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Accord, steering wheel 'shaking' - squealing noise when turning wheel

Just started hearing a squealing noise coming from the driver side when I turn the steering wheel to the left or the right. It has gotten much worse, and it only makes a noise when the car is driving, it will not make a noise with the car idle. The steering wheel 'bobs' or 'shudders' back and forth at low speeds, and you can hear a sound from the steering column every time it bounces back and forth. At high speeds, the bobbing or shuddering gets much worse. The vehicle also pulls to the left substantially when releasing hold of the wheel - im sure that's just an alignment
issue.

Replaced CV joints and axle shafts. I was told tie rods and ball joints could cause the wheel to wobble, but what would cause the rubbing/squealing noise in the steering wheel when turning?
Old 03-11-2016, 12:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1991 Accord, steering wheel 'shaking' - squealing noise when turning wheel

It's likely you have a few issues instead of just one. You may need new tierods, both inner and outers, and the squealing could be the lower ball joint. If the car is still in pretty good shape and you plan on keeping it for a while it might be best to just overhaul the entire suspension, depending on if you can do all the work and don't have to pay any labor costs.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1991 Accord, steering wheel 'shaking' - squealing noise when turning wheel

Thanks for the reply, I took it to my usual mechanic and he couldn't replicate a a rubbing or squealing noise when turning the wheel. He inspected the front end is said it was solid, nothing needed to be replaced but he did inform be that the boots for the ball joints were dry and rotting, and that could cause the noise I hear. He inspected my tires and saw multiple small bubbles along the center tread and side wall of the front two tires as well as uneven tread in the rear. I replaced all 4 tires, and the shaking wheel has completely stopped, the noise in the steering way has quieted some and isn't near as severe. I no longer have a pull in the wheel, either. I'm going to take it in Monday to see if it needs an alignment.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ApatheticAccord
Thanks for the reply, I took it to my usual mechanic and he couldn't replicate a a rubbing or squealing noise when turning the wheel. He inspected the front end is said it was solid, nothing needed to be replaced but he did inform be that the boots for the ball joints were dry and rotting, and that could cause the noise I hear. He inspected my tires and saw multiple small bubbles along the center tread and side wall of the front two tires as well as uneven tread in the rear. I replaced all 4 tires, and the shaking wheel has completely stopped, the noise in the steering way has quieted some and isn't near as severe. I no longer have a pull in the wheel, either. I'm going to take it in Monday to see if it needs an alignment.
if your tires were bad then you need an alignment for sure