Notices
Group Threads Club, Large Multi-Region Group, "Squad" Discussions

Honda and "foreign" cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda and "foreign" cars

Honda, and other "foreign" car companies have manufacturing plants in the US, correct? And Ford, GM, etc. have?plants overseas, correct?So is the issue that the "American" companies are just putting out an inferior product? Why bail out an inferior company, if my assumptions are true?BTW: I drive a Civic, and have no problems with it. Wife drives a caravan, problems galore!!What say you.

Thanks, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to ALL!!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:03 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ilper
Honda, and other "foreign" car companies have manufacturing plants in the US, correct? And Ford, GM, etc. have?plants overseas, correct?So is the issue that the "American" companies are just putting out an inferior product? Why bail out an inferior company, if my assumptions are true?BTW: I drive a Civic, and have no problems with it. Wife drives a caravan, problems galore!!What say you.

Thanks, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to ALL!!
Well there is a little more to it than just the quality issues. I used to work at TMMK (Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY). Toyota got the property for free and pay just about nothing in taxes.They were also declared a foreign trade zone (FTZ) which means they pay nothing in taxes on any raw material (such as steel) or parts until the unit is completed/sold. Toyota doesn't have finished goods inventory at its plant. They didn't even pay taxes on the plant steel (imported from Japan) until the first car came off the line. Add to that no past liabilities such as retirees and you've got some big competitive advantages.