Group Threads Club, Large Multi-Region Group, "Squad" Discussions

** The offical 96-00 civic 4dr thread ** PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ** The offical 96-00 civic 4dr thread ** PART 2

Hi everyone. After a month and a week, my car is finally running. The project took longer than expected due ordering parts and getting the right parts. Time was also an issue due to work. Anyways, all I need now is a steering wheel alignment and wheel alignment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirash/6010391245/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirash/6010927534/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirash/6010928524/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirash/6010928274/

Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jayosnaps
what you guys think? budget is low for a depo tail lights... =(
Do it. There's a guy from ClubCivic and he did the same on his sedan. He also had a teal blue civic and it looks nice.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Domani - damn. you surprised us with your whip.

Phi - hang in there buddy.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by portfl0w
I was not even considering tire wear. It is unsafe to operate the vehicle at specs outside of what the manufacturer recommends. Camber kits exist for a necessary reason, not to save tires. If someone chooses to drive their car at any settings other than manufacturer recommended, then they should understand that it is not in the norm. to deviate from spec. and any number of unforseen consequences can occur at the fault of the alignment. It should not be ok to mess with the alignment as a matter of course. It should be done for specific reasons. If you can't afford lowering the car properly, beware of risks.
-1.5* of camber is outside the manufacturer recommendation, are you saying it's not safe? Please elaborate on unforseen consequences due to not having a camber kit when lowering a car, let's say around 2".

A car with a slight amount of negative camber will generally grip the road during turns better than a car with zero camber as the car will "roll" during turns; the negative camber will cause the inside tires to become close to vertical, allowing them to maintain better grip. The exact angles needed will vary depending on driving conditions, driving style, etc, but a slight amount of negative camber will not hinder a car's performance. Along with that, camber won't outright wear a car's tires; provided the car has a toe alignment ("toe" being the angle being adjusted), the car should see very little premature wear over the life of the tires. I was running three degrees of negative camber at all four corners on my civic and didn't encounter any noticeable premature tire wear. That being said, negative camber in excess will cause the inside of the tire to wear faster than the outside.
I'm not here to argue with you, but proposing in order to properly lower a car a camber kit is necessary is a bit extreme in my opinion. I know you track your car and the ability to adjust camber is a good advantage, so can you gift us with more info about why it's essential to lowering a car properly?

Sir Ash - glad you fixed your car, new parts are looking fresh!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DOMAN!EJ8
Im thinking about converting my front end into that.. any suggestions
I meant orthia "fronts" (stupid auto correct) but do itttt. And sell me your front haha.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's not manufacturer recommendation, it is not as design intention and therefore less safe than factory spec. If you are attempting to reach a goal that is not a factory intended purpose for the car, alignment specs outside of what the manufacturer specifies may be necessary.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not "extreme", it's appropriate. Just because you do something unique on your car does not mean it's safe and therefore acceptable for others. If camber did not matter, there would not be a specification for it.

Quit assuming. I have only adjusted my camber once. When the car was aligned.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by I4MCHNA
I meant orthia "fronts" (stupid auto correct) but do itttt. And sell me your front haha.
sry not selling it, its one of those Domani by day, Orthia by night thing LOL.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What benefit do you get from telling others not to install safety items on their car when it is a industry accepted practice to utilize such parts? What do you gain from being so confrontational about your opinions and the expression of facts by others? Properly educate yourself on items related to safety if you intend to give other people advice. Peoples lives could be at stake.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's not manufacturer recommendation, it is not as design intention and therefore less safe than factory spec. If you are attempting to reach a goal that is not a factory intended purpose for the car, alignment specs outside of what the manufacturer specifies may be necessary.
What are the consequences of having slightly more negative camber - "unsafe"? Better grip in corners? I'm not talking about extreme cases here either.

It's not "extreme", it's appropriate. Just because you do something unique on your car does not mean it's safe and therefore acceptable for others. If camber did not matter, there would not be a specification for it.

Quit assuming. I have only adjusted my camber once. When the car was aligned.
I'm not saying camber does not matter, but rather camber isn't changed to a point that a camber kit is necessary, unless the owner needs to adjust camber to fine tune the suspension (track, autocross).

Honda also specifies 10w-30 or Honda MTF in the transmission, but many people use GM Syncromesh with better results. Speaking of assuming, the assumption that everything Honda specifies must be the best for the car goes against modifying a Honda.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff Lawrence! . Now, take a pic of Sir Ash of how it is and post it up!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know, ask the manufacturer.

When a cars ride height is changed in any way, all 3 parts of the alignment are affected. It should be taken into consideration that some of these settings may fall out of spec. as a result of the modification. If the settings fall out of spec. in your case, the alignment should be adjusted back to factory recommended settings to retain drivability. Failure to make such adjustments and compensate for changes may lead to operating behavior which is unfamiliar to the operator and not as factory designed.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What benefit do you get from telling others not to install safety items on their car when it is a industry accepted practice to utilize such parts? What do you gain from being so confrontational about your opinions and the expression of facts by others? Properly educate yourself on items related to safety if you intend to give other people advice. Peoples lives could be at stake.
I didn't tell him not to buy them. Please quote me where I'm being confrontational and I'd be happy to apologize for that. On the other hand, I feel like you're being somwhat confrontational by telling me to properly educate myself and asking me what I gain from being confrontational. Am I not asking you questions so I can educate myself?

While you are replying to me about people's lives at stake, aftermarket UCAs (like the name-brand Skunk2) often have reviews of the balljoints failing prematurely as well as it hitting their shock tower, sometimes denting it.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/another-skunk2-camber-kit-story-571666/
http://www.d-series.org/forums/suspe...ock-tower.html

I will say this again, I'm just here for a debate with facts, not to start an e-fight over camber kits. So please don't get offended if I say something contrary to what you say, just prove me wrong.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sde780
What are the consequences of having slightly more negative camber - "unsafe"? Better grip in corners? I'm not talking about extreme cases here either.

I'm not saying camber does not matter, but rather camber isn't changed to a point that a camber kit is necessary, unless the owner needs to adjust camber to fine tune the suspension (track, autocross).

Honda also specifies 10w-30 or Honda MTF in the transmission, but many people use GM Syncromesh with better results. Speaking of assuming, the assumption that everything Honda specifies must be the best for the car goes against modifying a Honda.
Who is talking about modifying a Honda? Many 90's Honda manual transmissions specify 10w30 or Honda fluid. If someone has abused their transmission to a point where they must feebly seek band aid 'repairs' to mask a apparent problem, that is their choice. It's not specified to use GM synchromesh, so don't use it unless you have a specific goal you are attempting to attain. When using all manufacturers specifications, you can be assured of safe, consistent, reliable performance and long life. The Internet doesn't know what'd best for the car, the people who designed it do. All of the information is available in the owners manual and maintenance guide.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is unsafe to operate the vehicle at specs outside of what the manufacturer recommends. Camber kits exist for a necessary reason, not to save tires.
I don't know, ask the manufacturer.
So you're not sure what makes it unsafe, but you just know it's unsafe? Not a personal stab at you but there's the other arguement that not using stock camber settings on a lowered car may benefit handling and increase safety.

I would think that once a car is lowered the suspension geometry is changed slightly, thus using OEM specs would not be the optimum settings as they weren't designed for a lowered car.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I never told anyone to do anything or use any parts. I explained facts and offered information related to my car. I never tell anybody to use any parts other than OEM unless I specify a specific reason for it. If I do, I make sure to express that it's my opinion and not factory recommended.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cmon now, you guys are talking about natural camber on a lowered dd, not on a race car taking tight turns at 60+ mph, it will not be so far out of spec where it will be dangerous.

Domani, it would be cool to have two different fronts to swapp around with. But if you're really planning on having an orthia front, good luck with swapping radiator support every time you change front ends.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In some cases that may or may not be true.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you go to get an alignment, they adjust the car to what the factory recommends unless you request otherwise. I'm not the crazy one here. You are.

I never said OEM spec. was "optimum" for a "lowered" car.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Prove me wrong on anything I've said tonight. Bed.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are attempting to reach a goal that is not a factory intended purpose for the car, alignment specs outside of what the manufacturer specifies may be necessary.
I'm glad we agree here. When a car is lowered negative camber is increased. Negative camber = good until a certain point. Unless you get a camber kit to increase negative camber, I don't see the need to use a camber kit to adjust the camber to stock settings, which in this post:
When you go to get an alignment, they adjust the car to what the factory recommends unless you request otherwise. I'm not the crazy one here. You are.
you stated that the alignment shop will set the car to factory setting. So when DOMAN!EJ8 installs a camber kit and takes it in for an alignment, they will be set to factory specs, unless he specifies otherwise. From your posts, no information was given about increasing handling with negative camber. While you criticize me for posting information that peoples' lives depend on, this important piece of information wasn't posted by you at all. Again, not taking a stab at you I'm just stating what happened.

If you have facts to prove it otherwise I'd be happy to hear it. So far my opinion hasn't changed. And as for being confrontational, I'll let the quotes do the talking
Are shoes really necessary? Is brushing your teeth really necessary? Yes, camber kits are necessary.
I'm not the crazy one here. You are.
I'm not here to argue about who is being confrontational. Let's talk about camber kits and avoid insults.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bet neither one of you can prove the other person wrong.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fair enough, I learned enough through researching my posts. One way to determine the correct amount of camber is to measure heat temperatures in all your tires and adjust accordingly.

portfl0w wins by default though, he's an 05'er
Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are trying to put words in my mouth and make it seem as though I have a specific angle. I have no angle. I am merely instructing people to use the factory approved method. If you have another perspective that varies from the OEM, that's completely fine. Do not attempt to insinuate or suggest that your opinions are facts based on testing and empirical data unless you can supply proof.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't insinuate my opinions are based on testing. You haven't provided any proof, I provided several links where other people agreed with me. I'm done arguing, your opinion is obviously hard to change despite others agreeing with me.

Here's my car from a 5 hr trip today

Quick Reply: ** The offical 96-00 civic 4dr thread ** PART 2