Notices

Yet another catch-can thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yet another catch-can thread...

So I just bought this bad boy off of ebay. For a no-name product, I think the contruction quality is very nice. $40 well spent in my opinion .

But how do I install it? I've clawed my way through millions of catch-can archives, but they all leave me with more questions than I started with. I'll post some questions for starters.

1. What's with the male-male adaptor in the bottom of the pics? Only one end is open. I haven't the slightest as to what it's for.

2. Since I've pretty much ruled out putting it between the intake and valve cover, should I put it between the IM and PCV?

3. Why do some catch cans have filters on top?

4. Why do some people need to drill more holes in their valve covers?
Old 10-19-2004, 07:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Yet another catch-can thread... (JRciv)

Here are some better pics of the adaptor I'm talking about. Notice only one end is open, the other is sealed.

And does it matter that I'm running a JRSC? Excess blowby shouldn't be a problem for me because I'm getting new pistons/rings soon.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i have read a bunch of catch can **** and Im still confused as to where it should go. A line coming off the PCV valve (which is on top of the charcoal canister right?) to one nipple on the catch can, and the other nipple on the catch can going to the turbo intake pipe?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

4: The catch can separates oil from the air that is coming out of the crank case under pressure, the air still has oil vapors in it, that air can either be routed back into the intake via the PCV valve, there it lowers the octane rating of the gas you are using. A filter will just let that oil vapor escape in the the atmosphere, it will make your engine bay dirty and it is not street legal.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont run a catch can but i do run a real nice PCV filtering set up, i use the clear hoses to see if any oily air or oil is getting back into the motor so far none has...........it was a set up intended for AIR compressors and has a high psi rating, i use 2 different filters....NO more dirty return air. i got lost by all that catch can crap
Old 10-20-2004, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

conect one of the hoses to the intake...
the other hose to the back of the block where the black box is
the valve cover u can leave with a filter

or u can take a hose from the block and one from the valve cover and T them to one of the catch can nipples
the other one to the intake

btw do like i did, go to a dollar store, get a metal pad (brillo style) and stuff it inside the catch can

i have one of those on my car
Old 10-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw do like i did, go to a dollar store, get a metal pad (brillo style) and stuff it inside the catch can</TD></TR></TABLE>

Over time, your Brillo pad will breakdown, what with a little condensation in the crankcase vapors, and the heat/cold, and tiny little metal fibers will make their way into your motor, wreaking all kinds of havok.

Go to Home Depot, and buy the ball chain that is used for ceiling light fixtures that you would find in your basement. Its also used sometimes for those employee IDs that they make you wear around your neck. There are 2 different sizes sold at the stores here. I would go with the smaller size. I bought 12 feet of the stuff, and could probably have used another couple feet.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Re: (Jaker)

I dont think hes referring to regular style brillo pads, which are a bad idea.
Instead, there are scrub pads which are made from larger stainless steel coils.
They will not rust, and will not break down.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rioninja)

Can someone take a picture of the black box with a hose that you suppsoe to connect to the catch can. Someone should do a picture to picture write up on this, im really confused on how the installation is...