Notices

WTF?? Me vs. 350z story.....(moved from kill stories)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF?? Me vs. 350z story.....(moved from kill stories)

well last night is the first time i started getting on it with the new turbo in, before i had the SC50 (32 trim) on my b16 (most of the mods are in my sig) and last wednesday i put an SC61 in (52 trim). Its a difference of night and day, much longer spool but it feels like it pulls harder and stronger to redline once its actually in boost. So last night i was rolling around with my friend in his 350z, hes got test pipes, intake, plenum spacer, ecu reflash and maybe a few other little bolt ons. usually at low boost (9-10lbs) im dead even with him and then always at high boost (13-14lbs) i walk away from him pretty good. well i left it in low boost with the new turbo just to make sure im not gonna lean out, and from a 60 roll, he got the jump (b/c it took me an hr to spool) and then we were almost dead even, me no one pulling at all, but i was still like a car or two behind him. WTF??? from an SC50 to an SC61 at the same boost level, and i cant even notice a difference?? it was the same result as when i had the SC50..... do you think its just that the car needs to be tuned first???? (its running rich as **** at low boost at certain points, seems like its running even richer than before at some points through the rpm band) plus it was hot and humid as ****..... i need some answers tho b/c this is pissing me off....

im gonna leave it to you FI boys since i wasnt gettin nething in the kill storeis.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: WTF?? Me vs. 350z story.....(moved from kill stories) (B00STED Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B00STED Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well last night is the first time i started getting on it with the new turbo in, before i had the SC50 (32 trim) on my b16 (most of the mods are in my sig) and last wednesday i put an SC61 in (52 trim). Its a difference of night and day, much longer spool but it feels like it pulls harder and stronger to redline once its actually in boost. So last night i was rolling around with my friend in his 350z, hes got test pipes, intake, plenum spacer, ecu reflash and maybe a few other little bolt ons. usually at low boost (9-10lbs) im dead even with him and then always at high boost (13-14lbs) i walk away from him pretty good. well i left it in low boost with the new turbo just to make sure im not gonna lean out, and from a 60 roll, he got the jump (b/c it took me an hr to spool) and then we were almost dead even, me no one pulling at all, but i was still like a car or two behind him. WTF??? from an SC50 to an SC61 at the same boost level, and i cant even notice a difference?? it was the same result as when i had the SC50..... do you think its just that the car needs to be tuned first???? (its running rich as **** at low boost at certain points, seems like its running even richer than before at some points through the rpm band) plus it was hot and humid as ****..... i need some answers tho b/c this is pissing me off....

im gonna leave it to you FI boys since i wasnt gettin nething in the kill storeis.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

get out of here ricer, yes it needs to be tuned first...
Old 06-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: WTF?? Me vs. 350z story.....(moved from kill stories) (Straight Flush)

thanks for the love, *******. i thought it would be a more dramatic power difference with the SC61 from the SC50 untuned, even tho im running richer than normal at some points. i didnt think it would hinder my performance as much. jesus, remind me not to ask for advice anymore....

Modified by B00STED Si at 4:07 PM 6/5/2005
Old 06-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well I know exactly what you're complaining about but you gotta realize two things. much larger turbine section = shifts powerband higher. and you're running that turbo @ low *** boost... it'll feel like crap down low. same thing with my turbo ls vs my turbo gsr. granted they're different motors... my ls felt WAY faster because it made a lot more power down low (quicker spooling turbo + the fact that it made more tq)

oh and for the record an SC50 is a 50 trim (compressor) not a 32. SC61 has a 56 trim compressor... not a 52.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: WTF?? Me vs. 350z story.....(moved from kill stories) (M.A.R.C.)

so are you saying i could have lost power with switching from the SC50 to an SC61???? at least at low boost levels? from what you said it seems like the sc61's sweet spot is at higher boost levels then the sc50.... i know at high boost (im getting it tuned for 15-16.5psi) that it will make some nice #'s, i was able to put down 310fwhp @ 13.7lbs of boost with the SC50, hoping the SC61 will outperform that by a lot, but i might be getting my hopes up. we'll see this wednesday...
Old 06-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B00STED Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so are you saying i could have lost power with switching from the SC50 to an SC61???? at least at low boost levels? from what you said it seems like the sc61's sweet spot is at higher boost levels then the sc50.... i know at high boost (im getting it tuned for 15-16.5psi) that it will make some nice #'s, i was able to put down 310fwhp @ 13.7lbs of boost with the SC50, hoping the SC61 will outperform that by a lot, but i might be getting my hopes up. we'll see this wednesday...</TD></TR></TABLE>

not that you lose power but there's less of a powerband down low
Old 06-06-2005, 05:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The one thing you forgot to take into account, (besides the tuning) is because of the change in Power on Boost response (initial spool) the VQ motor has a lot more torque than you think, and he used that to his advantage as you were initally spooling. using a boost controller that has gain adjustments, might help in intial spool reponse improve, but not by a lot.

That is why as good as the SC61 is in many ways, it's not the end all of turbos.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Re: (TheShodan)

yeah true, when i have my gain set pretty high (close to the boost i want to run) it'll spool much faster but it has a bad spike and the hondata cuts it off (my boost limiter is set for 15.5lbs) so to compensate i have the gain set moderately low to prevent the spike, but also causes a bit more lag....