Notices

WTF?!? feels like i'm hitting rev limiter at 4k

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF?!? feels like i'm hitting rev limiter at 4k

Ok what's the deal. Ever since I put the turbo on my car my car has stopped boosting around 5k rpm's, continue's to pull but stops boosting. SO today i go for a drive and when I hit 4k it felt like I totally let off the gas and acted like i'd taken my foot off the pedal when in fact the pedal was to the ground? What's the deal? I have a 14b with a missing link and safc I tried messing around with the safc and no luck.. ANy help?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WTF?!? feels like i'm hitting rev limiter at 4k (honkey2fly)

Simple answer: You're running out of fuel.

How to fix it is more complicated, I'm afraid. You have an sAFC, but what are you using for injectors? How much Bhp are you shooting for? What other modifications have been done to the fuel system? Fuel pump, fuel rail, pressure regulator, etc?

I had the same thing happen when I first installed my turbo, and installing larger injectors (from 15# to 19#) was all I did to correct the problem.

Further explanation:

If you are running out of fuel, as in your injectors are past 80% duty, the engine will go lean, and the sensors will read this, thereby retarding the timing to avoid detonation. This is actually the exact same thing your stock rev limiter does, so it is no wonder it "feels" like hitting the rev limiter.

The sAFC can alter the pulsewidth of your injectors, but there isn't much you can do if you are already at 80% duty on stock injectors.

Modified by beepy at 11:29 PM 7/2/2004
Old 07-02-2004, 03:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honkey2fly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 14b with a missing link and safc I tried messing around with the safc and no luck.. ANy help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or you could be in limp home mode, and CELs?
-PHiZ
Old 07-02-2004, 04:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honkey2fly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok what's the deal. Ever since I put the turbo on my car my car has stopped boosting around 5k rpm's, continue's to pull but stops boosting. SO today i go for a drive and when I hit 4k it felt like I totally let off the gas and acted like i'd taken my foot off the pedal when in fact the pedal was to the ground? What's the deal? I have a 14b with a missing link and safc I tried messing around with the safc and no luck.. ANy help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats your complete set-up?
Generally if your car pulls hard then hits a wall (as in not pulling hard at a certain rpm) it's because your running to rich. If it was lean it would most likely just taper off in power (feel as though it's not pulling very hard) and is more gradual in power loss.
How much boost are you running? Are you still making boost when it hits the wall?