Notices

Would a internal wastegate be fine

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a internal wastegate be fine

Im running a D16Z6 engine with a TD05H in it and it has a internal wastegate. I was told to gaet a electronic boost controller to get better spool, im about to do that. Im about to put a tubonetics T3 on it with a tubular header, the turbo has a internal on it but I can eliminate it. I can only run .5 bar, will the internal wastegate work with out boost creep, or overboosting? I can choose if i whant a external or internal wastgate design header. Was thinkin about buying a 38mm tial wastegate.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a internal wastegate be fine (maciekturbo)

Turbo Hondas run external wastegates for one or both of two reasons:

1) Fitment issues, as in no place to put an internal wastegate in some chassis, 88-91 Civic/CRX are a perfect example of this.

2) The small "stock" wastegate aperture is couples with an overly large compressor, like the T3/04 hybrids. It's not big enough to keep up.

Since you aren't running an overly large compressor (in relation to your turbine/wastegate setup), and if you don't have fitment issues, I wouldn't worry about it. I would port the SSR (short side radius) of my wastegate aperture to increase it's effectiveness, but I wouldn't go through the hassle and expense of external wastegates for no reason.

BTW, a $10 DIY ball-spring style boost controller will increase spool time just like one of the fancy electronic units that doesn't always work right. I've used random vacuum solenoids scavenged from junk cars to switch between different ball-spring boost controller, different settings. Takes a minute to package everything so it doesn't look like ****, but it works.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Would a internal wastegate be fine (J. Davis)

im only running 7 psi so my spring opens at 7 so dosent that mean that if i put a bass baring boost cintroler on it it will cause a restiction on the line causing it to go over 7 psi.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:33 PM

mbc's decrease turbo lag. not ebc's.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:42 PM

Default Re: (shrug)

how can i eliminate my internal wastegate opening at boost levels under 7 psi but still not run more than 7 psi
Old 10-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shrug)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shrug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mbc's decrease turbo lag. not ebc's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some ebc's do.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: (J. Davis)

which ones step motor or solenoid or somthing i dont know about.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:58 PM

Default Re: (maciekturbo)

does a external one prevent the wastegate causing turbo lag?
Old 10-26-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Re: (maciekturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maciekturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does a external one prevent the wastegate causing turbo lag?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes. Then again..so would a manual or even a half-assed EBC.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo Hondas run external wastegates for one or both of two reasons:

1) Fitment issues, as in no place to put an internal wastegate in some chassis, 88-91 Civic/CRX are a perfect example of this.

2) The small "stock" wastegate aperture is couples with an overly large compressor, like the T3/04 hybrids. It's not big enough to keep up.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

you forgot the third one. STunN@ sTaTu$$$!!! lol
Old 10-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nobody Special)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nobody Special &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you forgot the third one. STunN@ sTaTu$$$!!! lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, yes. The big shiny metal ***** effect, whereby you make up for your lack of virility and self confidence with a symbolic phallus. All you external wastegate guys need to check http://www.intellectualwhores.com, it'll help you out lots!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:33 AM

Default Re: (J. Davis)

H-T (and the ferarri message boards) is phallic symbol central (just ask the cumquat who bought the HKS GT51R for an LS). Am I an ******* for knowing multiple sources for $20 internal wastegates that hold up to 48psi and not saying it, or is this just because I'm tired of getting flamed?