Notices

Will I be able to re-use my Action 2MD? Also, are flywheel shims a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will I be able to re-use my Action 2MD? Also, are flywheel shims a good idea?

I was shocked when I pulled the clutch, she was no more than 1500 miles old and yet warped this bad already. The question is: CAN I reuse again? or MUST I purchase a new one?

ALSO, my machinist brought up that since this was the second time he resurfaced my flywheel, i should really think about purchasing a flywheel shim to correct the difference he has taken off. Anyone heard of this? or Anyone here using one?

Thanks, koshi. 8)
Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will I be able to re-use my Action 2MD? Also, are flywheel shims a good idea? (mRek9R)

I may be wrong, but is that actually warped? looks almost like something has got on the contact surfaces and smeared across the pads. Maybe water or a slow coolant lead? Possibly oil/grease?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I be able to re-use my Action 2MD? Also, are flywheel shims a good idea? (XSIintegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XSIintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I may be wrong, but is that actually warped? looks almost like something has got on the contact surfaces and smeared across the pads. Maybe water or a slow coolant lead? Possibly oil/grease?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea it's warped, if you rub your hand through it you can feel the difference in area.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I be able to re-use my Action 2MD? Also, are flywheel shims a good idea? (mRek9R)

difference in surface texture or difference in height?
Ofcourse you'd feel difference in texture, but is the height ok?

Looks to me that it wasnt cleaned before installation or then riding the clutch.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I be able to re-use my Action 2MD? Also, are flywheel shims a good idea? (Flashmn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flashmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">difference in surface texture or difference in height?
Ofcourse you'd feel difference in texture, but is the height ok?

Looks to me that it wasnt cleaned before installation or then riding the clutch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

different in both texture and height...it kinda feels like this: ---____---. The system was installed fully cleaned, what you're seeing in the pictures is a clutch that's been sitting for 4 months collecting dust and particles.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mRek9R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

different in both texture and height...it kinda feels like this: ---____---. The system was installed fully cleaned, what you're seeing in the pictures is a clutch that's been sitting for 4 months collecting dust and particles.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Do you ride the clutch?......Was the flyewheel in good condition or resurfaced before the clutch install?

I've never used a flywheel shim, nor heard of it. You can just buy a new or used flywheel (not too expensive)
Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Will I be able to re-use my Action 2MD? Also, are flywheel shims a good idea? (red_crx)

Generally when you resurface a flywheel you have to do both surfaces.
A. The surface where the clutch touches
B. The area where the PP sits on.

The Machine shop should pull out the 3 pins and resurface both areas when doing a proper job. If they are not doing that then you are getting a half *** job.

Oh an I never heard of a flywheel shim as well. Just keep in mind that your flywheel is the same thing as a rotor. You can only resurface it so many times before it needs to be replaced.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I be able to re-use my Action 2MD? Also, are flywheel shims a good idea? (red_crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Do you ride the clutch?......Was the flyewheel in good condition or resurfaced before the clutch install?

I've never used a flywheel shim, nor heard of it. You can just buy a new or used flywheel (not too expensive)</TD></TR></TABLE>

The clutch was really harsh, I couldn't baby it at all...I basically had to rev up higher and pretty much drop the clutch. The one time I abused the clutch was during drag racing @ Rock Falls. 2nd gear burn-outs.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX T-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Generally when you resurface a flywheel you have to do both surfaces.
A. The surface where the clutch touches
B. The area where the PP sits on.

The Machine shop should pull out the 3 pins and resurface both areas when doing a proper job. If they are not doing that then you are getting a half *** job.

Oh an I never heard of a flywheel shim as well. Just keep in mind that your flywheel is the same thing as a rotor. You can only resurface it so many times before it needs to be replaced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, that's exactly what my machinist did. Only this time he had to take out .010 since it was so warped. Last time he took off .008 which brings the total amout to .018.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mRek9R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The clutch was really harsh, I couldn't baby it at all...I basically had to rev up higher and pretty much drop the clutch. The one time I abused the clutch was during drag racing @ Rock Falls. 2nd gear burn-outs.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
hmm..cable or hydro tranny? When you shifted gears, did it seem kind of hard and harsh sometime?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
hmm..cable or hydro tranny? When you shifted gears, did it seem kind of hard and harsh sometime?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hydro tranny. The clutch felt fine before I took her out. Still had the same harsh engagement, slight chatter, and the well-known squeal when you try to baby her.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:27 PM

I would just send it back to Alex at Action with a description of how you drove with this clutch and the current setup the clutch endured. He will rebuild or recommend a new one, plus he likes to see what his work goes through. He's a personable guy and needs feedback on his clutches. FWIW, I would just buy a new setup with a resurfaced stock flywheel. But, I would send the core back to Alex at Action for his review.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I be able to re-use my Action 2MD? Also, are flywheel shims a good idea? (ncturbocivic)

I just installed my action 2ms and although still in break in, I was surprised how it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Not much chattering and easy to engage for a clutch with that much clamping power. Did you break the clutch in?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I be able to re-use my Action 2MD? Also, are flywheel shims a good idea? (88crxvtec)

Thanks for the replies, i'll get a hold of Alex. Another note, I did break-in the clutch...i babied her for about 500 miles.