Notices

wideband o2 sensor OR EGT probe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wideband o2 sensor OR EGT probe?

Im a bit confused as to what the difference is between a EGT probe and a wideband o2?
I have just ordered an EGT probe from Ebay and am just wondering whether I need a wideband o2 sensor also?
Is EGT basically sufficent for my tuning needs? The car is a d16a9 with T25 turbo running at 5PSI, but wanting to up it to 10 eventually.
Thanks
Old 06-26-2004, 10:01 AM

Default Re: wideband o2 sensor OR EGT probe? (djnikko)

an egt is, an EXHAUST GAS TEMP. guage. a wide band is air/fuel.

Landon
Old 06-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should use a wideband for tuning.

It would be better to have both EGT and wideband for tuning.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An EGT probe is useless, unless you have one installed in all 4 runners of the exhaust manifold to compare.

If your timing is good, and you have an A/F ratio that your engine likes, you should never need to even look at an EGT probe.

Get the Wideband.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Bryson)

agreed. wideband is more useful. EGT is better than nothing.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Though I agree that the wideband should always be used for tuning, I don't agree that an EGT is useless. I do all of my tuning with the wideband and then keep an eye on things with the stock O2 sensor and EGT. Thing is, you can't just plug in an EGT and shoot for a specific number, you need to see what your particular reading is once you're properly tuned with the wideband, and then make sure it never goes over that if/when you don't have a wideband in the car.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband o2 sensor OR EGT probe? (Agtronic)

Thanks for the help guys, due to a bit of a bonus this month at work I think I shall be buying both, EGT I have ordered on ebay already! but bearing in mind i am from the UK where is the best place to obtain a wideband o2 sensor and the box thingy that comes with it (whole package). does anyone recommend any brands? and any companies that will ship to the UK? I cant seem to see them available to me on ebay.co.uk
many thanks
Old 07-05-2004, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/lm1.php

ive found this? any good? i would like idealy a gauge version that is running all the time and sunk nicely into my dash board etc. The other way i could do it by using the product listed above is to drill a hole in the exhaust for the sensor and just blank it off after ive tuned it (using threaded blanking cap). I would prefer the first option if there is a reasonable looking kit available for a reasonable price.

thanks
Old 07-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use the Techedge WBO2 with the cheap VW Bosch LSU. You cannot beat its price, and so far its worked really well for me. I have the V2.0a kit, but if you're not comfortable with a soldering iron you can buy a pre-built and tested unit shipped to you.

http://wbo2.com/
Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wideband o2 sensor OR EGT probe? (mgro)

One of the PLX WBs would be nice in your dash and they can be really inexpensive.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:57 AM

Default Re: wideband o2 sensor OR EGT probe? (Bailhatch)

Owning a wideband was the best $350 I've spent on my car
Old 07-05-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: wideband o2 sensor OR EGT probe? (9psiTurboSI)

I'm getting both on my car (98 ITR) because I plan to take it to the track, want to keep an eye on EGT to make sure I don't cook the turbo

But also cooler EGT can be a sign of detonation so I'm hoping I'll be able to spot a bad EGT temp before anything bad happens....

Better safe than sorry but I can definitely see someone not bothering with EGT. Wideband A/F is definitely important and you should get it either way.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djnikko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/lm1.php

ive found this? any good? i would like idealy a gauge version that is running all the time and sunk nicely into my dash board etc. The other way i could do it by using the product listed above is to drill a hole in the exhaust for the sensor and just blank it off after ive tuned it (using threaded blanking cap). I would prefer the first option if there is a reasonable looking kit available for a reasonable price.

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I love my innovate wideband. IMO, its probubly the easiest, and most practical to use for the money invested. Its awsome just being able to connect the box, record a few runs, and going back and looking at the logs on the computer.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wideband o2 sensor OR EGT probe? (Bryson)

i have an apexi turbo timer, can I not link a wideband sensor to this?

or what would stop me linking a wideband o2 sensor to a normal air/fuel gauge. are they completely inaccurate?

If the above is not possible then i shall go for the PLX or just get it rolling roaded for now, money dependant!
Old 07-06-2004, 03:00 AM

Default Re: wideband o2 sensor OR EGT probe? (mgro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mgro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use the Techedge WBO2 with the cheap VW Bosch LSU. You cannot beat its price, and so far its worked really well for me. I have the V2.0a kit, but if you're not comfortable with a soldering iron you can buy a pre-built and tested unit shipped to you.

http://wbo2.com/</TD></TR></TABLE>

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. The TechEdge WBO2 setup allows you to datalog wideband O2s, and also lets you datalog 3 channels of type-K thermocouples (EGT probes), along with 3 channels of 0-5V, and RPM.

Personally, I'll never run a WBO2 with a turbo again. After the turbo, the readings are useless. And if you put the probe before the turbine, there is a good chance that the probe will break off and kill your turbo.