Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory

hi guys
I have a d16a9 engine from europe and am a bit confused as it has no o2 sensor (yes ive checked all along the manifold/exhaust and spoke to other owners) what I am wanting to do is add an o2 sensor in the exhaust and link it to a A/F gauge for tuning as the car is turboed. Has anyone had a simular problem? Does the o2 sensor have to be run to the ECU to obtain a 0-1.0 volt signal or something? or can i build a standalone circuit using A/F gauge, o2 sensor and switched power from the battery? any help would be great....
thanks in advance
Old 10-31-2003, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory (djnikko)

I know this wont be acurate at all but if it can be done and it kind of works i would be greatful for the extra flashing lights in my cockpit
Old 10-31-2003, 07:08 AM

Default Re: adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory (djnikko)

If you are running an o2 sensor to tune a turbo'd car, you need to get a wideband o2 and just an "A/F gauge" is no where near close to accurate. You need to get a device to give you digital read-outs on your wideband o2.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the engine in the car, or out of it?

All engines since the 70's have at least one O2 sensor, if for nothing else other than emissions.

Check near the catalytic converter, and all along the pipe before it. Should be one.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory (Revolveu2)

there is no CAT on this car either, the engine is same spec as a ZC but just has no o2 sensor (well in the exhaust). Actual engine code is a D16a9 1590cc DOHC 89shape CRX... some other d16a9 owner must have been thru this surely?
also If i get a wideband o2 sensor do i have to connect it to the ECU or is it a seperate circuit?
Old 11-03-2003, 12:22 PM

Default Re: adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory (Revolveu2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revolveu2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Check near the catalytic converter, and all along the pipe before it. Should be one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah what he said

Or get a egt..
Old 11-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory (JuuKe_EM)

seriously there isnt one there, i have removed the whole standard exhaust for my turbo project and checked all along the pipe unless they hide them in cylinder heads it just isnt there...
im interested more in this wideband o2 if i dont have to connect it to the ECU
thanks
Old 11-03-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revolveu2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All engines since the 70's have at least one O2 sensor, if for nothing else other than emissions. </TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah, in the USA...

He said it was from Europe. There's some countries that don't have much in the way of emmissions laws.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory (JimBlake)

yeah we dont give a **** about the air we breathe over here lol
i hear a few people in europe turbo these motors so they must have to tune them witn an A/F or wideband
Old 11-03-2003, 04:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djnikko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also If i get a wideband o2 sensor do i have to connect it to the ECU or is it a seperate circuit?</TD></TR></TABLE>
it will have it's own controller box to power and read the O2 sensor. But will also have a narrowband output signal for your ecu.

here's a thread/ how-to on a PLX wideband O2 that i just did a few days ago on my car.
Click me!

Old 11-03-2003, 09:24 PM

Default Re: adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory (civicgeek9)

don't get a wideband o2 sensor. they are so freaking expensive even if it's used. just tune your car on WOT at the track or a really long straight road. The ECU won't adjust the fuel therefore the A/F won't jump all around the place.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory (civicgeek9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicgeek9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will have it's own controller box to power and read the O2 sensor. But will also have a narrowband output signal for your ecu...</TD></TR></TABLE>But you won't use that since you said your ECU isn't looking for an O2 sensor.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:48 PM

Default Re: adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory (JimBlake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't get a wideband o2 sensor. they are so freaking expensive even if it's used. just tune your car on WOT at the track or a really long straight road. The ECU won't adjust the fuel therefore the A/F won't jump all around the place.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You have no clue what you are talking about. Wideband O2 devices can be purchased for 300-400 bucks now. That is far from expensive in this hobby. And if you get the right kind, you can buy replacement sensors from VW. Since newer model VW's, I believe Golf and Jetta, come stock with a Bosch LSU4 or LSU4.2 sensor. What do u think tuners are using on their Dyno's. That or the old NTK sensors.
If you tune it on a dyno, or even at a track, you MUST tune with a wideband O2 if you really want to get it right. A stock O2 sensor is worth ****. And if it was me, i would want to make sure i get it right, before I have to rebuild a motor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But you won't use that since you said your ECU isn't looking for an O2 sensor.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
True. You can just run the sensor with a display and cap the narrowband ECU output. If your ECU really isn't looking for it. But like someone said before, all cars since a certain date have O2 sensors. So might want to keep looking for that one on this car.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicgeek9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You have no clue what you are talking about. Wideband O2 devices can be purchased for 300-400 bucks now. That is far from expensive in this hobby. </TD></TR></TABLE>

nah 300-400 bucks isn't much at all. Gee, i got my whole greddy turbo kit for 550 bucks with only 5k on it. Maybe thats why i find spending 80% of what i payed for my turbo kit on a dumbass Wideband 02 sensor kind of silly. However if you have unlimited cash and want to do things perfect then hell yeah get that expensive 02 sensor and hell why not get a Hondata system while ur at it and maybe some chrome charge pipes. DON'T tell ppl that they don't know what they are talking about when you yourself are the fool. This guy looks like he is on a budget so i gave him the cheapest idea, and idea that lots of ppl use and why the hell do you think they call it TEST and TUNE night at the dragstrips if you can't use your stock 02 sensors to tune the beast. Damn my fingers are tired now !
Old 11-04-2003, 09:03 PM

Default Re: adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory (Del_Slowest)

my friend had his turbo gsr hatch only tuned for WOT and that thing ran like butt on the street. But at WOT was good for 12.2@112mph on slicks
Old 11-05-2003, 03:18 AM

hi

firstly go here http://www.hondacrx.co.uk/forum and do a search as this has been covered before. mark, one of the moderators on there, turbos d16a9's for fun! but in summary.

you can either buy an aftermarket manifold, locate a secondhand jdm si manifold, or tap your existing one to put an o2 sensor in.

a normal o2 sensor will be very inaccurate, if you've ever seen one the needle just flies all over the place. however they are good for basic tuning before you get on a dyno, who should have their own wideband sensor. this will save you time and £ as less dyno time will be required

if you want to plug the o2 sensor into an ecu, substitute a rover 216gti ecu. they used the d16a8 engine which is just a d16a9 with a cat, and can be had from breakers for not much cash.

or you can get a wideband o2 sensor now from the US for approx $300 as someone else mentioned above. here http://194.154.162.19/phpBB2/v...53841 is some information on them.

HTH
Old 11-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you are going turbo, do yourself and your engine a favor, and get a true wideband O2 sensor/controller. The sensing characteristics of a normal stock O2 resemble a light switch...either on or off. Hondata's website has a write-up covering this issue.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:52 AM

Default Re: adding an o2 sensor if there is not one there from the factory (Del_Slowest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

nah 300-400 bucks isn't much at all. Gee, i got my whole greddy turbo kit for 550 bucks with only 5k on it. Maybe thats why i find spending 80% of what i payed for my turbo kit on a dumbass Wideband 02 sensor kind of silly. However if you have unlimited cash and want to do things perfect then hell yeah get that expensive 02 sensor and hell why not get a Hondata system while ur at it and maybe some chrome charge pipes. DON'T tell ppl that they don't know what they are talking about when you yourself are the fool. This guy looks like he is on a budget so i gave him the cheapest idea, and idea that lots of ppl use and why the hell do you think they call it TEST and TUNE night at the dragstrips if you can't use your stock 02 sensors to tune the beast. Damn my fingers are tired now !</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wideband o2 setups can be had for 200$, if that is too much for you to put out to make your car run a LOT better, and for a LOT longer...then you aren't real smart. Anyone doing a turbo shouldn't go cheap in the tuning area, attempting to tune on a stock o2 is pointless...it's like getting a 30$ air fuel gauge and going by that...we all know how accurate those are. Test and Tune nights are used correctly by those who have a stock o2, as well as a 2nd bung welded in with a wideband, giving them constant feedback on their engine. If you are going to just put down the cash to buy a turbo system and not tune it properly, save your money...b/c it's a waste. Oh and as far as Hondata goes, for those on a budget Uberdata can be had for a nice price... after tax and shipping it comes to $00.00
Old 11-05-2003, 05:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DON'T tell ppl that they don't know what they are talking about when you yourself are the fool. This guy looks like he is on a budget so i gave him the cheapest idea, and idea that lots of ppl use and why the hell do you think they call it TEST and TUNE night at the dragstrips if you can't use your stock 02 sensors to tune the beast. Damn my fingers are tired now !</TD></TR></TABLE>
HAHAHA you DO NOT have no clue what you are talking about. There a several replies above this that will support this as well.
A narrowband stock O2 sensor = ****. Period. The signal off this sensor not good for tuning on "TEST and TUNE" night's either. It is good for NOTHING. except maybe an ECU input so you don't throw a code 41.

You sound like you know nothing about actual tuning. You may know how to slap the **** together, yes you can make some awesome power, but if you want it to last, as well as be faster and get better gas mileage, you have to tune it. And anyone that knows anything about tuning KNOWS that you need a wideband O2 to do so properly. So no, spending 200-400 on said device, is FAR from silly.

ya, he may be on a budget, but we can still tell him how to do it the RIGHT way.
Have a nice day.