Notices

why is a standalone better than being chipped

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is a standalone better than being chipped

Locally everyone is telling me to chip the ecu ( b16 turbo) but everyone online says go hondata. cybernation and pacific performance customers are making over 400 and 500 hp on their chipped cars. so how is standalone better I just need to know
Old 06-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is a standalone better than being chipped (TTWS6)

You can get some extra goodies with hondata like full-throttle shift, nitrous control, shift light...(though some people can program most if not all of these features into the stock ecu). Aside from stuff like that, if they know what they are doing the chip will be just as good and probably cost less. I am chipping my ecu in the next few weeks. It should be a learning experience
Old 06-18-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: why is a standalone better than being chipped (ion_four)

Standalones are more adaptable for future changes, that alone is a great difference. Also (like mentioned before) the extra features Hondata or AEM offers over a chipped ECM.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:26 AM

you don't drive the car that the settings for the chip was made for. Didn't you always wonder why your car is faster or slower than a similiar car? Every car is different and the chips are generic. Why would you want something that was tuned on someones car rather than having a custom program that was tuned on your own car is beyond me.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:03 PM

Default Re: why is a standalone better than being chipped (prophet)

My b16 and drag 3 is in the garage it snot on the car so I havent don this yet. I assumed that it will be chipped on my own car. btw what do u mean shifting at ful throttle? u mean no realeasing the gas? why would u need hondata to do that?
Old 06-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

full throttle shifting keeps your throttle body wide open instead of closing between shifts thus makes gear shifts faster and keeps your turbo spooled up.

Ok, i was about to go on a rampage explaining why chips suck compared to a standalone EMS but hondata already did the work for me:

http://www.hondata.com/techfaq.html#general

"How does Hondata compare to ______ (someone who provides replacement chips)?

Be careful when dealing with a company or individual who is offering a 'chip' for your ECU. One well known company does not touch the ECU program or data - they simply put their stickers on the ECU. Other chips which we have looked at were stock programs from a different model ECU, or were simply the stock chip from the same ECU! The problem with buying a "custom chip" from someone is that the chip was designed for a particular engine configuration. Unless your setup is exactly the same, the "custom chip" will be a compromise at best. In addition, if you wish to make changes to ignition curve or rev limiter, you are stuck with the settings from that "custom chip". With a Hondata ECU you can tune the ECU to the optimal settings for your engine. The ECU can always be later retuned if necessary by either a Hondata dealer or by yourself if you purchase a Stage 4 kit.

How does Hondata compare to ______ (a replacement ECU)?

Generally using a Hondata modified Honda ECU will be cheaper and easier to install and tune, since the factory wiring harness and sensors are used, and stock ignition and fuel tables are provided as starting points. Most other standalone systems require you to start from scratch with the fuel and ignition maps. Most other standalone systems require the use of different sensors and/or major modifications to the engine wiring harness. Other factors in favor of using the Honda ECU are reliability, cost, closed loop operation (management of the engine at partial throttle -- something the Honda ECU is very good at, and ability to retain control of secondary outputs like A/C and the radiator fan.

Why is the Hondata ECU so much better than the stock ECU for tuning high horsepower engines?

Most power upgrades (turbocharger, supercharger, long duration cams etc) require substantially more fuel to be delivered to meet the engine. Out of the box, most forced induction setups rely on the use of extremely high fuel pressures (over 100 psi under boost), a rising rate regulator, and a noisy fuel pump. This method is inaccurate (as the fuel pressure will usually rise too slowly when the engine first goes into boost, then will over fuel under sustained boost), unreliable as all the fuel system is subject to 100-120 psi, and unsafe as the fuel pump is overworked, and will cause engine damage if it cannot delivery sufficient volume of fuel at the required pressure.

Cars which have forced induction from the factory use a relatively modest fuel pump, big injectors, and their computers are programmed such that they can accurately control those injectors under boost. Hondata follows a similar philosophy. We replace the stock 240cc Honda injectors with larger injectors, extend the fuel and ignition tables in the ECU so that it can deliver the correct amount of fuel and still idle like stock. Piggyback devices, rising rate fuel pressure regulators and ignition retard devices are not needed. The end result is a much cleaner and safer system that is infinitely adjustable and offers substantial room for growth."
Old 06-18-2003, 12:17 PM

Default Re: why is a standalone better than being chipped (GudeH23a)

how is that any different that keep your foot on the gas when u shify?
Old 06-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because it will hold the motor at a certain programmed RPM. Unless you are a very skilled driver, i doubt you can hold it constant at a certain RPM while shiftining 4x while going down the track.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:20 PM

I jsut read it on the hondata site it keep your rpms up with the same launch control technology in between shifts. thats pretty cool. but other than that is it these features that makes the difference? because it doesnt seem like much
Old 06-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you read anything that i posted earlier or do you just not get it?
Old 06-18-2003, 12:30 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how is that any different that keep your foot on the gas when u shify?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It cuts the gas and/or ignition so that your engine doesnt try to rev to 15,000 RPM..... not the same thing.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: why is a standalone better than being chipped (mos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It cuts the gas and/or ignition so that your engine doesnt try to rev to 15,000 RPM..... not the same thing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think TTWS6 is a little confused. Yes you can prob achieve a successful full throttle shift without the aid of any computers (I do at the track) but its just another feature so you wont over rev if you mis shift or shift too slow heh
Old 06-18-2003, 02:08 PM

GudeH23a sorry I just noticed your post. I brwsed thru too fast I get it thanks for teh reply
Old 06-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GudeH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you read anything that i posted earlier or do you just not get it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
He posted at the same exact time you did.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why is a standalone better than being chipped (JMinSi2000)

aem ems offers traction control now, thats whats luring me towards it.