Notices

White smoke (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke (searched)

Well I searched and couldn't find anything quite like the problem I'm having. Also I just installed everything and got a new turbo.

Here's a description of the problem:
I turn the car on and it runs fine no smoke at ALL not even after tapping the gas a little. After it warms up theres still no white smoke while it's idling but after you tap the gas smoke comes out.

Here's stuff I've checked or think could be causing a problem:
1) I used to have an oil pressure gauge but I snapped the line going to it so I can't use it right now, but I noticed I had abnormally high oil pressure like 90 psi at cold idle. Maybe I just need a restrictor? I'm using 10w-30 BTW
2) I have a small kink in my return line so I'm going to try and fix that and see if it works.
3) I don't think it's coolant burning because it doesn't smell sweet and the coolant and oil look normal.
4) Praying to God it's not my valve seals since it didn't smoke before turbo.
5) oh yeah no oil on the compressor side already took off the charge piping and checked.

Anyways, I'm freakin desperate here I really need to get my car running..... Ever since installing all this stuff it's just been problem after problem for the past 2 weeks.

Modified by AccidentproWn at 9:23 PM 4/2/2005
Old 04-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: White smoke (AccidentproWn)

fixed the kink thats not the problem

edit: pulled the spark plugs too and looked at NGK's site
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/t...2.asp
They're a light gray color which according to them means normal. So I guess it's probably not valve seals?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:27 PM

How is your PCV routed (or not routed)?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: White smoke (Rufus523)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rufus523 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How is your PCV routed (or not routed)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just unplugged it from the intake manifold and plugged my 3 bar in the vaccum port. Right now its routed at the ground I intend on getting a catch can eventually though.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:35 PM

If you are running the valve cover to the ground and the black box (oil separator) on the back of the block directly to the ground to the atmosphere, then that is not the problem. I just got mine to quit smoking (today) by routing both into a catch can, and a line from the catch can to the ground. If that gas can't get out, it will make it into your exhaust somehow and smoke white. Sorry if I didn't help...
Old 04-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rufus523 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are running the valve cover to the ground and the black box (oil separator) on the back of the block directly to the ground to the atmosphere, then that is not the problem. I just got mine to quit smoking (today) by routing both into a catch can, and a line from the catch can to the ground. If that gas can't get out, it will make it into your exhaust somehow and smoke white. Sorry if I didn't help... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually I just have the PCV routed at the ground. I have an accord any clue where the black box is? I know it's connected to the block on b-series. Anyone know if its that huge cylinder thing on the left side of the engine bay against the firewall? Besides that where does it plug into the block?

Do you think I could just take the oil cap off and run it in the garage and see if it smokes still? Same concept isn't it just a huge hole venting pressure ?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:58 PM

Not really. Do not take the cap off it will dump oil all over your engine. I do not know where the oil separator / PCV are on H / F series. I suggested this as this was the culprit for my white smoke. Best of luck,
Old 04-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well Thx anyways rufus. From what I understand the PCV has to have vaccum for it to work correctly so I just took it off to see if that would solve anything and it didn't... bump for anymore help!
Old 04-02-2005, 02:12 PM

I got same problem but some days my car dont smoke and some days it does. D16Y8turbo... Yeah just like you described in your post. Im gonna disconnect PVC and drill a hole through it and dump to ground and cap off the other end to intake manifold and see if it helps me or not ?
Old 04-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PK SPEED)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PK SPEED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I got same problem but some days my car dont smoke and some days it does. D16Y8turbo... Yeah just like you described in your post. Im gonna disconnect PVC and drill a hole through it and dump to ground and cap off the other end to intake manifold and see if it helps me or not ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad I'm not the only one with mysterious problems :-) I think I'll drill mine out too seems like it smoked less when I had it off.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well did some more diagnosis on it. I think it's the valve stem seals because......
I had a friend driving behind me and he said it only smokes a little when I shift, it smokes a lot when I let off the gas, only smokes a little at idle then stops after idling a while.
So I'm pretty sure the vaccum is sucking oil past the valve seals :-(
Old 04-02-2005, 06:19 PM

Check coolant
Old 04-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: White smoke (Blue00vtecsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blue00vtecsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check coolant </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AccidentproWn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3) I don't think it's coolant burning because it doesn't smell sweet and the coolant and oil look normal.
</TD></TR></TABLE>