Notices

when street tuning...any tips on driving the car for best results?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when street tuning...any tips on driving the car for best results?

how do u guys drive the cars when u are street tuning....partial and full throttle...when do full throttle, should you go through 1st 2nd then 3rd, or just do like a 3rd or 4th gear pull like on dyno?
Old 10-08-2005, 11:34 AM
12 Years Strong

Default Re: when street tuning...any tips on driving the car for best results? (cmGSR916)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmGSR916 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do u guys drive the cars when u are street tuning....partial and full throttle...when do full throttle, should you go through 1st 2nd then 3rd, or just do like a 3rd or 4th gear pull like on dyno?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When Anthony (PrecisionH23A) tuned my car all of the full throttle pulls were done in 3rd or 4th.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do just regular driving conditions first. Just have the person drive the car around like normal. THen when satisfied, I do 3rd gear pulls from about 2500-3000. And then do a 4th gear to finish it up.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when street tuning...any tips on driving the car for best results? (cmGSR916)

First I tune the idle, then get them to do a run in a low gear with the manifold pressure around -20in/HG from low to high rpms, then the same for -10in/HG, then again for 0psi, then I tune wide open throttle in boost in either 3rd or 4th gear.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: when street tuning...any tips on driving the car for best results? (SOHC_MShue)

I start slowly, and tune the vacuum columns. Then I tune partial all the way up the boost columns until I'm at WOT max boost. Dataloging is necessary, obviously.

edit: I do WOT in 3'rd to keep the speed down, on a piece of highway I know, at 3 in the morning. If you can't get traction in 3'rd it's time for the dyno, 4'th on the street would be stupid.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when street tuning...any tips on driving the car for best results? (Dr Pooface)

I think the hardest part is finding a piece of road to do it on where there isn't much traffic. I used to do it late at night on a great stretch of road near my parent's house, but now neighbors complained about me working on cars at the house all the time(my parents house is basically in an old fart retirement community) and now I can't do it out near there so I do it at my house in the city which sucks because there is nowhere to run the cars, or I have to go to their house to tune.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when street tuning...any tips on driving the car for best results? (SOHC_MShue)

thanks for the info guys...yup trying to find a place is the hardest part...we wasted so much time just finding the rite time to pull
Old 10-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do just regular driving conditions first. Just have the person drive the car around like normal. THen when satisfied, I do 3rd gear pulls from about 2500-3000. And then do a 4th gear to finish it up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's how I do it, populate as many vacuum fields as possible, adjust accordingly, go back and do it again. In my case I use a local highway and have the owner use 3rd-4th-5th to populate different parts of the rpm scale.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the hardest part is finding a piece of road to do it on where there isn't much traffic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If I showed you the stretch of road I have to do my tuning, you'd hate me
Old 10-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when street tuning...any tips on driving the car for best results? (VTC_CiViC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I showed you the stretch of road I have to do my tuning, you'd hate me </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-10-2005, 10:14 AM
something different

if you talked to the cops in a rural area, you could get "permission" to use an empty road for a while. they might even bring barriers out and block it off for you. gotta find a cool cop though..but i'm sure they'd rather know about it than catch you doing it.

just a suggestion.

i have plenty of back roads and frontage roads around the south side of chicago to rip on...through forest, etc. but its still scary. one ticket could pay for a couple hours of dyno time with the fine alone, not to mention the insurance hike that usually follows.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you talked to the cops in a rural area, you could get "permission" to use an empty road for a while. they might even bring barriers out and block it off for you. gotta find a cool cop though..but i'm sure they'd rather know about it than catch you doing it.

just a suggestion.

i have plenty of back roads and frontage roads around the south side of chicago to rip on...through forest, etc. but its still scary. one ticket could pay for a couple hours of dyno time with the fine alone, not to mention the insurance hike that usually follows. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i doubt that would fly with the cops around my area.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:40 AM
something different

just an idea.

i know a few cops around my area who would probably do it for me. never hurts to check!

Old 10-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

cops around here will write me a ticket for asking
Old 10-11-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Re: (cmGSR916)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmGSR916 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cops around here will write me a ticket for asking </TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here.

I have a nice back road right by my house. Runs right beside the highway.