Notices

When do you check your oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do you check your oil level?

I normally check it in the morning after it sat for the njight so all the oil is settled down in the pan.

I notice that when i check the oil when im at a gas station or something like after it is warmed up, i check the oil after liek 10 mins and the oil level is different. Should i go by the oil level reading i get in the morning im guessing?

Also does oil changein volume in anyway with a change in temp? Like im running 20w50 now and it seems like it is like honey in the morning but when it gets warmed up it is more....fluid i guess. Does the volume change as it gets more "fluidy?"

Thanks....just some things i was ponderin...
Old 01-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: When do you check your oil level? (MordecaiPSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MordecaiPSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I normally check it in the morning after it sat for the njight so all the oil is settled down in the pan.

I notice that when i check the oil when im at a gas station or something like after it is warmed up, i check the oil after liek 10 mins and the oil level is different. Should i go by the oil level reading i get in the morning im guessing?

Also does oil changein volume in anyway with a change in temp? Like im running 20w50 now and it seems like it is like honey in the morning but when it gets warmed up it is more....fluid i guess. Does the volume change as it gets more "fluidy?"

Thanks....just some things i was ponderin... </TD></TR></TABLE>

In the morning is the best time to check it. All the oil has had time to drain to the pan giving you the best reading of how much oil you have.

Oil is like most any fluid that is thicker cold than warm.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Re: When do you check your oil level? (nsxmatt)

i end up checking my oil once a week or so, or when i notice oil that has dripped onto the pavement on the ground.. otherwise..
Old 01-11-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Re: When do you check your oil level? (nsxmatt)

Yea i understand that there is a change in viscosity, but does that mean there is also a change in volume when it gets warmer as well?
Old 01-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: When do you check your oil level? (MordecaiPSI)

it may expand a bit but i'm sure it woulden't make much of a differance because it is pretty spread out in the pan so the level won't change as much as if it were in mare 'tall' shape like a thin vertical tube. Just keep checking it after it has drained for a while and your motor will be fine.