Notices

What's required to convert from LS-T to LS/Vtec-T?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's required to convert from LS-T to LS/Vtec-T?

I'm currently running an LS turbo setup, and am considering converting it to an LS/Vtec turbo setup when this motor finally blows. I'm trying to add up the total costs of going LS/Vtec versus just dropping in another LS longblock.

So far I figure I'll need the following: a Vtec Head and Golden Eagle LS/vtec conversion kit. Do I also need a new intake manifold to fit the new head? Does it matter if I use a B16 or B18 head?

I want to do this as safely but cheaply as posible.

TIA
Old 03-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What's required to convert from LS-T to LS/Vtec-T? (Teg4e)

you pretty much need the major parts.

By buying the LS Vtec conversion kit form GE you have all the necessary parts to do the install.

The head will require eithr a b16a intake mani for b16a/type R heads or a GSR for gsr style heads.

You can always use any aftermarket intake mani
Old 03-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Teg4e &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I want to do this as safely but cheaply as posible.

TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

I currently have an ls/vtec turbo setup in my car. With the ls/vtec you should not cheap out or you'll regret it. A few things you want to consider are crank girdle, either Z10 engineering or a stock one off of a Gs-r or ITR. If you plan on reving past stock redline then definately consider getting one. With the crank girdle you would need, gs-r or itr windage tray, oil pump pick up and main bolts. Another thing to add to your list would be both oil and water pumps and a gs-r timing belt. Also oil cooler would be a nice addition, as would oil squirters. I have all of this on my setup minus the oil squirters. Do keep in mind that it will prolong the life of your motor especially when boosting.

In my opinion I would stick with the Ls turbo and build it. Get some head work done, sleeving etc. By the time you price out a properly built Ls/vtec you could build a mean Ls which would make enough power to keep you happy.

The price gets up there when building one of these properly. Im not saying you absolutley must get what I've listed but if you want your motor to last then do it right, well actually yes I am

Hope that helps a little. Goodluck.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What's required to convert from LS-T to LS/Vtec-T? (GEN2TEG)

I am doing ls vtec turbo right now. My block is sleeved,pauter rods,cp pistons, gsr water pump,oil pump. Not going to rev to 10k or nothin crazy like that. Would I need a block girdle? Basically what Im asking , can i put one on later?

Modified by redturbocivic at 9:16 AM 3/8/2004
Old 03-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Teg4e, this is IMO..ok, you said you want to do ls vtec. I would find another ls block pretty cheap. Just keep it on the side, get it sleeved,pistons,rods, the whole bottom end done. Then you can put it in your car with a fully built bottom end. Then from there you can get the b16,gsr, or type r head. Either way if you go straight ls or ls vtec. You will still have a fully built bottom end. just my 2 cents
Old 03-08-2004, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What's required to convert from LS-T to LS/Vtec-T? (redturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Would I need a block girdle? Basically what Im asking , can i put one on later?

Modified by redturbocivic at 9:16 AM 3/8/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't NEED the block girdle but it nice insurance. The purpose of the block girdle, to my understanding, is to reduce vibration of the crank when reving at higher rpm's. So if you are reving to even say 8000rpm I would consider one. You can definately add one on later. Im pretty sure that this can be installed without the motor being out.