Notices

What should be replaced when adding turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should be replaced when adding turbo?

I have a 93 del sol with a b18 from a 92 integra with 60k on it, the guy who did the swap ONLY replaced the piston rings with oem and also a stock felpro headgasket when he added a turbo onto it.. Im running 6 psi boost and im wondering if im running a chance of damaging anything. should anything else be replaced to withstand the boost, and if this is safe how much more boost can i push?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:08 PM

imo just boost until you blow... then replace. unless you're compression results are really off.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What should be replaced when adding turbo? (B18tSOL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18tSOL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 93 del sol with a b18 from a 92 integra with 60k on it, the guy who did the swap ONLY replaced the piston rings with oem and also a stock felpro headgasket when he added a turbo onto it.. Im running 6 psi boost and im wondering if im running a chance of damaging anything. should anything else be replaced to withstand the boost, and if this is safe how much more boost can i push?</TD></TR></TABLE>

So much more info needed........
-what turbo?
-what management?
-is the car even tuned?

I would put in some arp headstuds and have it TUNED to ~300whp (assuming the turbo supports that kind of flow) and run til' it blows, then rebuild with forged internals (or even sleeve it) and go lsvt. GL.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: What should be replaced when adding turbo? (KeyserSoze)

i bought the car with the setup on it, im slightly limited to the knowlage of the car. this is what i know... the fuel system (pump, fpr, fmu, etc) has been upgraded, the computer has been replaced and "set" for a turbo setup. the ignition (cap, coil, distributer, wires, plugs) are all stock, the exhaust is 3" going into 2.5" and if i am hard on the throttle it will smoke a little grey/black telling me its running a little rich. I dont know the brand of the turbo but i was told it could produce upwards of 25lbs. that is basicaly all i know about it. it runs great, it has a tendency to have a sputtering, backfireing effect if it idles too long though, im not sure if it is getting too much fuel or not
Old 02-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18tSOL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bought the car with the setup on it, im slightly limited to the knowlage of the car. this is what i know... the fuel system (pump, fpr, fmu, etc) has been upgraded, the computer has been replaced and "set" for a turbo setup. the ignition (cap, coil, distributer, wires, plugs) are all stock, the exhaust is 3" going into 2.5" and if i am hard on the throttle it will smoke a little grey/black telling me its running a little rich. I dont know the brand of the turbo but i was told it could produce upwards of 25lbs. that is basicaly all i know about it. it runs great, it has a tendency to have a sputtering, backfireing effect if it idles too long though, im not sure if it is getting too much fuel or not</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok,
-I would change the plugs out for a colder range if you are going to turn up the boost. And gap them for boost.
-I would find out exactly fuel pump and injector size you have (this will let you know if your fuel system is up to par) and how much room you have.
-Find out exactly what type of engine management you have, some are much more effective than others.
-If the turbo flows a max of 25lbs/min it is likely a straight t3 turbo. That means that you will not get more than like 250whp out of it, but I bet it spools really fast huh?
-Your stock engine should be able to max out that turbo if and ONLY if.....
1) your fuel system supports this (large enough injectors and a good fuel pump)
2) you have the right tuning......if it is sputtering that doesn't sound like a good tune, either that or they only tuned WOT.

And like I said before I would get a set of arp or aebs headstuds. GL.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Re: What should be replaced when adding turbo? (KeyserSoze)

yea im gonna have to do that, thanks for the advice
Old 02-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18tSOL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea im gonna have to do that, thanks for the advice</TD></TR></TABLE>

Np.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (allricedout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">imo just boost until you blow... then replace. unless you're compression results are really off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zeimbo)

First on the agenda should be to take inventory of your fuel system (like already suggested).

That motor can handle quite a bit of boost stock, but even 6psi could kill it without proper fuel management. So finding out what kind of management you have and making sure it's tuned properly should be priority number 1.

Then go from there.

Oh, I personally would also do a quick compression test to make sure the bottom end it cool. It only takes 5 minutes and can be a good indication as to the overall health of the motor.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Oh, I personally would also do a quick compression test to make sure the bottom end it cool. It only takes 5 minutes and can be a good indication as to the overall health of the motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont know if this would matter but the piston rings were recently replaced and there is only 52k on the motor so the compression in the bottom end should be good
Old 02-20-2007, 05:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (B18tSOL)

should be, and actually being are 2 completely different things. it never hurts to check and youd hate to blow your motor because you were too lazy to do a 5 minute compression check
Old 02-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to thread jack man, didn't really want to open up another thread.

I have a b18b that i've been piecing together for turbo. I just added:

MLS head gasket
replaced all o rings
installed viton valve stem seals
and waiting to get my block gaurd machined

i will be adding:
arp head studs
440cc injectors
and possibly s200

the turbo i am running is a t28 with internal wastegate, and tubular manifold on a 95 b18b. I am basically aiming for a daily driver with ***** at the track. What kind of numbers would i be seeing and also any recommendations on what else i should add for it to hold up. I really dont wanna live by "run till it blows" lol.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zeimbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">should be, and actually being are 2 completely different things. it never hurts to check and youd hate to blow your motor because you were too lazy to do a 5 minute compression check</TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutely.

And if you are concerned because you don't have a comp tester or aren't familiar with how to perform a comp test. Now is the time to buy one and learn. With an FI motor I would say a compression tester is an absolute must have.

I do regular compression tests on my motor, especially when I'm pushing it hard often.

I would never trust some random person's engine building experience. I would do a comp test even on a motor I'm sure is fine, at least that way you know for sure.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

good helpful thread

but be prepared, eventually something will probaly, eventually give out on the stock motor... just a matter of life... and boost on stock motors.... GL
Old 02-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (deguzmanEG)

anyone have any input?