Notices

is it possible to have a small boost leak and still reach full boost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it possible to have a small boost leak and still reach full boost?

i was just curious because i am not going to rule out all possiblies. would it be possible to have a boost leak but still be able to reach full boost? are there any instances that this could happen? i can reach full boost but it seems to take forever to get there where as before it didnt. and the blow off valve doesnt make much noise nor is it loud as it used to be and the turbo makes a much louder noise when spooling up than it used to. my thoguth was that maybe i had a boost leak somewhere and the turbo was working harder to compensate for the leak and thats why it took forever to spool up and sounded louder than normal....

any ideas?
Old 06-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: is it possible to have a small boost leak and still reach full boost? (NextelBuddy)

yes its possible, it will take longer though because the turbo has to spin faster to reach the same psi.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it possible to have a small boost leak and still reach full boost? (Fst Blk GTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fst Blk GTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes its possible, it will take longer though because the turbo has to spin faster to reach the same psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly what i was thinking. and this could cause the car to feel real slow and slow spool time as well right? also would this cause the turbo to sound louder than before? posibly because the turbo is working harder to get to the same psi level because of a leak?
Old 06-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it possible to have a small boost leak and still reach full boost? (NextelBuddy)

i think it maybe louder because from what i can think of the turbo would be working a lil more harder to keep the psi level up. especially if the w/g signal was say by the intake manifold and the leak was before that.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it possible to have a small boost leak and still reach full boost? (CivicRyda2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicRyda2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think it maybe louder because from what i can think of the turbo would be working a lil more harder to keep the psi level up. especially if the w/g signal was say by the intake manifold and the leak was before that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bump any other advice or ideas? i just want to confirm what these other guys have said so i can feel a little better lol
Old 06-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is all true info. you need to pressurize your intake system and find the leak.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbo will be noticeably louder, as well as your exhaust obviously.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it possible to have a small boost leak and still reach full boost? (evil newgsrdriver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by evil newgsrdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo will be noticeably louder, as well as your exhaust obviously.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im glad you said that. lately i have noticed that my exhaust had a different slightly louder tone than normal at all rpms and power levels. i couldnt put my finger on it until you mentioned it. i guess this weekend i will remove all my piping and inspect all my couplers and see what i can find. thanx guys
Old 06-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No sweat...it will be like a throaty, raspier sound.

Imagine if you compare a normal cough to a cough thats all broken up and deep and phlemmy when youre sick. Thats a healthy exhaust compared to a leaking exhaust. It will be a bit throaty...for lack of a better term.

Old 06-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it possible to have a small boost leak and still reach full boost? (evil newgsrdriver)

wow so u dont have to have a exhaust leak to make the exhaust have a bad sound?? just a boost leak in the piping can cause a bad exhaust sound?
Old 06-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My bad! Im an idiot, read it wrong...I was talking about exhaust leaks.

Ignore the throaty part. However, a leak in the charge piping can also increase the sound of the turbo....so my post wasnt totally useless
Old 06-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Stu
New User

Don't take your stuff off quite yet. Just let your car cool down (a few hours usually does it) and start it up and go check out under the hood. If the leak is big enough to change your spool, then you should be able to hear it at idle, if you can't just pull the throttle cable. Anyway, you may even be able to feel it as well if it's pointing toward you. Lastly, and exhaust leak will only affect your spool if it's before the turbo, keep that in mind before you go tearing your car apart.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:57 AM

Default Re: (Stu)

I am starting to think that I have a boost leak as well.

I dont think the sound of my BOV has changed or the sound of my turbo...but I'm not reaching full boost (~8psi) until at least 4500 rpms on my SC34.

Art said to check for leaks so thats what I'll be doing this week/weekend.

Couple of questions though, when charging the air in your intake, do you have to block off the IC pipes before the Throttle Body or just charge everything?

Can you charge the air using the turbo inlet? Or do you have to take of the piping from the compressor outlet and charge that?

Thanks...