Notices

What problems did you run into with your ls/vtec conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What problems did you run into with your ls/vtec conversion?

just curious, looking into building an ls block and using my b16 head that i have on my b16 stock block now. i wanted to know what problems you encountered when doing the ls/vtec conversion. anything i should look out for? would you recommend doing it? harder or easier than you thought? did you use the g.e. kit? if so did it have everything you need? let me know. thanks
Old 05-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What problems did you run into with your ls/vtec conversion? (B16Civic93)

for LS/Vtec....

My problem was heating up!

My car was getting hot with the turbo in the bay. So I got a fluidyne radiator and a Flexalite fan(red 1200cfm). My cause of this problem was that I live in a hot AZ climate. But its fixed now.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What problems did you run into with your ls/vtec conversion? (B16Civic93)

I used the G.E. kit and i liked it. I think its a bit overpriced, but so is everything. As far as including everything... you still need T-belt, water pump, new seals all around..ect.
The only thing i would recommend doing is just making sure you've researched it enough
Old 05-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What problems did you run into with your ls/vtec conversion? (vtec'n)

yeah i've researched it. i know i need the following...

b16a head(i have it) need to take it and get it resurfaced and cleaned
b18a/b block need it
need to get the block cleaned and honed
need a new water pump and timing belt for a gsr
need a new oil pump for a type r
need new pistons, probably je 9.1:1 comp
need new rings
need new rods, probably eagle
need new bearings either honda, or acl
need all new seals and gaskets
need new head gasket
need head studs
need ge conversion kit
need a block guard(not sure which one, either ge, or str)
need to get the whole bottom end assembeled and balanced

i think thats it as far as needing stuff. i'm not sure which block is obd1 as far as b18a/b. but thats about it.

i can put the head on myself and i can put the engine in myself.

i might get a hondata intake manifold gasket while the intake manifold is off the head since i will need to get the head resurfaced and cleaned.

i am assuming i can get the gaskets and seals and pumps and timing belt directly from honda/acura, most likely acura since it will be gsr /ls parts.

sorry for the long post. let me know if i am missing anything.

and for the beginnning post. anyone else have problems with the lsvtec conversion? anything to look out for? also does the ge conversion kit come with instructions?

thanks in advance
Old 06-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:11 AM

i am in the process of building my LSVTEC now, and it has been a shithole of trouble. I suppose though, only because i'm kind of stuck giving time between my car, school, and my girlfriend (who just got out of school and neeeeeeeeeeeeds attention). Just a lot of slow work, machine shop didn't really lag, but it could have been faster. I bought a bunch of shitty blocks, but your allready past that if you have a good block+crank.

I put the dowels in wrong (the GE ones) and ruined them, so now i have to wait for new ones to be shipped. THEY charge crazy amounts for shipping. WHy doesn't someone put them in an envelope and send them to me? 32 cents. Little cash things add up, if your strapped for money.

I just used a GSR pump/timing belt/tensioner.

its not anything different than a regular motor swap. you just use different dowelss.

Tapping the head is easy, running the oil lines is easy, its al pretty easy. Especially if you allready have your motor out of your car.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What problems did you run into with your ls/vtec conversion? (Si Shane)

yeah, i still have to get a block. but thats what i'm worried about, getting a block that has a fucked up crank or the cylinder walls are shot.

i'm also worried about small things like installing something wrong, or messing up the head tapping it. nothing major just little ****.

and i've never had a head off of a honda before, just v8 chevy's and i know they're a little different to work with. the main thing will be the machine work and all of the seals, gaskets, and pumps. it would be stupid to use used pumps on a brand new motor and have it go because one of them failed.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 06-02-2005, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> also does the ge conversion kit come with instructions?

thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1237510

Check out that thread...

I also want to give the conversion a shot soon. I've been non-vtec for long enough
Old 06-02-2005, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What problems did you run into with your ls/vtec conversion? (Si Shane)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si Shane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I put the dowels in wrong (the GE ones) and ruined them, so now i have to wait for new ones to be shipped. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, you have got to explain this one.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: What problems did you run into with your ls/vtec conversion? (Doodoo)

The Dowels go around the two outermost headstuds (there are 8 total, 4 on each side of the block). Put them on the two outermost studs on the exhaust side of the block. The holes on the head are meant to have the dowels go in on those studs, its very visable if you look.

I put them somewhere else. Dont worry about it