Notices

What part is this for a turbo kit? NOOB Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What part is this for a turbo kit? NOOB Help

So im a noob when it comes to turbo's and I purchased my a turbo kit a local was selling. It is a log type manifold, garrett t25, came with 2.25 inch down pipe, intercooler piping, couplers, wastegate (not sure what brand or if no name), dump tube, greddy boost controller, and this random 2 parts which i am unsure what they are. Pics are posted below. Can you guys tell me what it is? and I noticed it didnt come with a BOV. How do I go about getting one and mounting it to intercooler piping if there isn't a flange opening? And I also noticed that the turbo housing has two flanges besides the downpipe and where turbo bolts up, what are those for? What else do I need to make it a complete kit? It's just gonna go on my stock b16. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks

here is other part

Old 07-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What part is this for a turbo kit? NOOB Help

First one is an FMU
Second one is some sort of oil sandwich plate
Old 07-30-2011, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so after doing some research it seems that one of them is a sandwich plate, which I assume I dont need since im running a stock b16 right? or is it an alternative to run oil to turbo instead of tapping the oil pan? and the blue thing I looked up from the website and its a Fuel Management Unit, Here Is what the website says about it:

The Vortech Standard Fuel Management Unit (FMU) is designed for use on multi-point electronic fuel injected engines. It is a secondary fuel regulator that installs in series with a stock regulator on the return line to the tank. The unit increases fuel pressure in proportion to boost pressure (this assumes the pump being utilized is of sufficient pressure and flow to deliver the fuel required). All Vortech FMUs feature CNC machined, 6061-T6 aluminum construction and a blue anodized finish.
The 12:1 FMU is standard in many Vortech systems. It is suitable for most applications running with original equipment injectors to maintain an air-to-fuel ratio of approximately 10.8 to 11.5:1 under boost. The pump utilized needs to provide sufficient flow to deliver the fuel pressure required in proportion to boost.

The 10:1, 8:1 and 7:1 FMUs are for Vortech applications that require less fuel pressure to maintain safe air-to-fuel ratios. The 6:1, 4:1 and 3:1 FMUs were designed for high-output custom applications where larger than stock injectors have been employed. For example, the 6:1 FMU can be used on Mustangs using either 30, 36 or 38 lbs. per-hour injectors. The 4:1 unit was designed for either 38 or 42 lbs. per-hour injectors in the same application. Vortech FMU Recalibration Kits include a new ring, washer and fluorosilicone diaphragm.

Please Note

*Recommended for 1986-1998 Ford Mustangs with injectors listed.
Technical Tip:
When using an FMU with larger injectors or for fine tuning when other components that alter airflow are being used, Vortech offers an optional air bleed valve. This permits the rate of gain for any of the Vortech FMUs to be reduced by approximately two pounds of pressure per PSI of boost. It allows a 12:1 FMU to perform as a 10:1 unit. To alter the curve even greater, refer to our 8:1, 7:1, 6:1, 4:1 and 3:1 Recalibration Kits.

Will this be helpful? Is it meant to be used with stock injectors? or should i just ditch it and buy an aeromotive fpr? and upgrade fuel system? Thanks for help
Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FMU were popular when ECU's were expensive or difficult to tune, injector options were scarce/expensive and so forth.

Ditch the FMU and get the proper sized injectors for your hp level. For normal street setups you will be ok using your OEM FPR but there are plenty of reputable and affordable adjustable FPRs on the market nowadays.

As far as the BOV is concerned, buy whatever fits your budget/needs. Mark the location on your piping where you want the BOV installed and then take the piping/BOV and its associated flange to any shop with a reputable welder.

Post pics of everything so you can get better answers!

That filter sandwich is missing some pieces!!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is your car obd1?

1st is fmu, throw away and get your engine tuned for the turbo but then you gotta buy injectors. fmu is olschool

2nd is sandwich plate but its missing the center piece for block to filter
Old 07-30-2011, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok kool thanks you guys, yea im ditching the fmu and dont need the sandwich plate, so whats the difference between a stock fpr, and lets say an aem or blox fpr? Should I get aeromotive?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

aftmarket fpr makes fuel pressure adjustable. aeromotive is the best imo
Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, next question. The wastegate that came with the turbo kit is huge and It doesnt have a brank on it. What are the differences between waste gate brands? Is the spring the only thing that matters? And how do I know what psi spring I have inside?
Old 07-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Springs are color coded and it also looks like a regular 38mm flange which is really easy to find another gate because every one makes a 38mm.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civickiller
is your car obd1?

1st is fmu, throw away and get your engine tuned for the turbo but then you gotta buy injectors. fmu is olschool

2nd is sandwich plate but its missing the center piece for block to filter

Agreed!!!