Notices

What is this new noise coming from my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this new noise coming from my car?

After having installed my turbo kit for about a couple of weeks, I just noticed a new noise coming from the engine. Not really sure how to describe it tho but the car sounds like an old car now. (desh desh desh desh). Is this what pinging sounds like? I have never heard this noise before. I hear it when I drive normally with no boost. Is it possilbe to ping without boosting? The noise is not that loud. I can only heard it when i drive by parked cars or a wall and the sound bounces back. I hear in first and second gears but after the third gear I can not hear it over the wind noise. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-05-2001, 01:29 AM
New User

Default Re: What is this new noise coming from my car? (GSRrR)

Is it a ticking noise?
Old 11-05-2001, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

desh desh, no idea - exhaust leak?? valve lash adjustment needed???
Old 11-05-2001, 07:23 AM
New User

Default Re: What is this new noise coming from my car? (rtype11)

mine sounds like that, and it's a exhaust leak.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:26 AM
New User

Default Re: What is this new noise coming from my car? (GSRacer)

Mine makes a ticking noise, even without boost. I think it's the wastegate but don't know why it would make noise under normal operation. Maybe I have a small exhaust leak?
Old 11-05-2001, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not to put the fear of god into you, but I know the sound you are talking about. the sound you can only hear when no other cars/ traffic are around and you drive by a wall, or a parked car (the drive thru at a fast food place is another example). I thought it was my valves out of adjustment- got them adjusted. I thought maybe it is normal since I have a dc sports header (relatively thin= more ticking noises according to some on this board)- but it wasn't. Then I thought maybe an exhuast leak- nope. Hows stretched rod bolts sound? Now I am looking at a rebuild becuase I want to do things right (built block+boost=lots of fun minus all my money + =

I'm not trying to scare you into thinking it may be as bad as my situation was, but when you explained the sound in your post, it was all too familiar for me
Old 11-05-2001, 03:56 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What is this new noise coming from my car? (markaria)

Hows stretched rod bolts sound? Now I am looking at a rebuild becuase I want to do things right (built block+boost=lots of fun minus all my money + =
how do u stretch rod bolts?
Old 11-05-2001, 04:53 PM
New User

Default Re: What is this new noise coming from my car? (DIRep972)

ahhhhh crap, I started hearing the same noise today as well!!!! I just noticed it and was getting on here to post about it.. O brother.. It sounds like a slight ticking under low RPMs when i step on the gas.. That had me thinking wastegate or exhaust since it didnt happen at idle. I didnt notice any performance loss.. And yeah I can only hear it when I really listen (It happens all the time though just not super loud).. Sounds like it is more on the left side of the motor..
Old 11-05-2001, 05:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: What is this new noise coming from my car? (Damon501)

ahhhhh crap, I started hearing the same noise today as well!!!! I just noticed it and was getting on here to post about it.. O brother.. It sounds like a slight ticking under low RPMs when i step on the gas.. That had me thinking wastegate or exhaust since it didnt happen at idle. I didnt notice any performance loss.. And yeah I can only hear it when I really listen (It happens all the time though just not super loud).. Sounds like it is more on the left side of the motor..

That might be from your belts. I hear that noise now, and my car isn't even turboed yet. I hear it on my friends Miata as well, and it also sounds like its coming from the belts. I can only hear it while in my garage and the car is idling........I'm sure its nothing.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the noise sounds like an old car trying really hard to go up a hill but the sound is very soft. i do not feel any lost in performance though.

thanks for all your replys. If it is the belts, i am in need of changing the timing belt anyways. i will check the other belts too. but tonight i will check for exhaust leaks. maybe its my wastegate. i thought i could only hear the noise when in gear (the car is moving) but when i step on it kind of hard with the car parked i can hear also hear it but just a little bit. anyways i will be back with an update tonight and crossing my fingers the noise will go away. good thing its not pining because i was worried to drive it.

[Modified by GSRrR, 3:23 AM 11/6/2001]
Old 11-05-2001, 06:32 PM
New User

I am gonna have my fingers crossed too.. sigh
Old 11-05-2001, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is this new noise coming from my car? (Damon501)

Had a small ticking sound also. Found out it was the gasket between the wastegate and the manifold. Put a small amount of gasket maker on it, we'll see if that worked.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is this new noise coming from my car? (GSR_Dude)

I'm also getting the weird sound from my car but i'm not boosted, just NA. Sounds like i got a diesel engine in my teg. Also, theres a slight pinging sound too. Its really bad when I first start up my car in the morning. Sounds like my engine is about explode or something. Hopefully, I'll get the valves adjusted soon and this **** goes away. Damn crap, this sound sux, and its so embarrasing. Haha.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is this new noise coming from my car? (GSR_Dude)

Thanks GSR_Dude. It was the gasket between the manifold and the WG. It seems that the exhaust gas burned through the top part of it. I used the gasket that came with the tial. It looks like half metal and half paper. A small part of the paper burned away. Anyways i changed the gasket and the sound was gone. Hopefully i will not have to keep changing it every month. If i have to i do not mind that much . Boost is so addicting.