Notices

What kind of maintenance is associated with boost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of maintenance is associated with boost?

I bought a 95% complete turbo'd h23vtec yesterday, everything checked out good aside from the fact that its tuned for 4PSI on a very rich tune to keep the motor safe. anyways I've always heard that a turbo setup will require a lot of maintenance etc. etc., is this true? or is this a myth? I really don't see it except for constant oil level checks, seals and oil leaks.. nothing that actually requires changing, but rather things that need to be watched. If someone has links to what I'm talking about, I'd be more than happy to read/learn more that way instead of bothering you FI guys.

thanks, and i've already been reading through multitudes of pages on the FAQ.. very informative/technical stuff.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What kind of maintenance is associated with boost? (dagle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dagle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought a 95% complete turbo'd h23vtec yesterday, everything checked out good aside from the fact that its tuned for 4PSI on a very rich tune to keep the motor safe. anyways I've always heard that a turbo setup will require a lot of maintenance etc. etc., is this true? or is this a myth? I really don't see it except for constant oil level checks, seals and oil leaks.. nothing that actually requires changing, but rather things that need to be watched. If someone has links to what I'm talking about, I'd be more than happy to read/learn more that way instead of bothering you FI guys.

thanks, and i've already been reading through multitudes of pages on the FAQ.. very informative/technical stuff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The maintenance on a turbo car consists of the same maintence for any other vehicle. The biggest misconception people have is that turbo hondas are unreliable.
Why? because 90% of the honda community does not properly tune their vehicle with the proper engine management & end up with blown motors. Ontop of this, a lot of the community tends to put together things as cheap as possible. You can only imagine the end result....

As long as the vehicle's oil is changed regularly & the setup was put together properly to begin with you shouldn't have many problems. One thing you may want to do is regularly check over your nuts/bolts that hold your manifold/turbo/downpipe together.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of maintenance is associated with boost? (mtber)

yeah i check my oil probably more often then neccessary due to the fact that i had a leaking dizzy o-ring in my past lude. the bolts for my turbo/dp/manifold were allen wrenched? is that the right term? and the motor was built by blacktrax, soon to be tuned on hondata s300 by them too. aren't u the hondata dealer from the sponsor forum? lol
Old 01-29-2008, 08:43 PM
i ♥ snails

changing oil more frequently is a good idea, thermal breakdown is more prevalent on turbocharged vehicles specially ones without water cooled turbos.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What kind of maintenance is associated with boost? (dagle)

Turbo engine probably eat plugs quicker too. I've had a SR20DET wear a set of plugs from .030" to .038" in about 20k miles. It started misfiring in boost. It only made about 350whp on a T3/T04E 60 trim compressor.

Allen wrenched fasteners are referred to as internally-wrenched socket head cap screws...although it's implied that they're internally-wrenched.