What else can cause blow by?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else can cause blow by?

Just wondering what else can cause excessive pressure to come out of the valve cover breather hole. I did a compression test and I had 180,171,180,171.
Could excessive pressure out of the valve cover breather be a result of a bad pcv valve? How do you check to see if thost tings are still good and if it needs replacement, how much are they.? Also, if you know what else could be causing the blow by that would be sweet.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:18 AM

Default Re: What else can cause blow by? (ludelvr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludelvr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just wondering what else can cause excessive pressure to come out of the valve cover breather hole. I did a compression test and I had 180,171,180,171.
Could excessive pressure out of the valve cover breather be a result of a bad pcv valve? How do you check to see if thost tings are still good and if it needs replacement, how much are they.? Also, if you know what else could be causing the blow by that would be sweet. </TD></TR></TABLE>

not sure what motor you have.. but on my B18b , the pcv valve is on the valve cover and its a check valve.. the way i checked mine was blew in both sides to make sure the check valve would allow pressure to release only in 1 direction.

blow by is caused i believe by excessive crank case pressure.. Now you asked what would CAUSE this.. well the best way to explain it would be that the pressure inside the crankcase is not being relieved.. like perhaps a clogged pcv valve. just per se.. the best way to relieve the pressure is to put a breather kit on the crankcase itself. ENDYN makes a kit for this..
Old 04-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What does blow by feel like? Anyway you can tell or is it just by getting a compression check?

Is this a common problem for turboed cars?
Old 04-25-2004, 09:51 AM

Default Re: (kjg8erz8)

I think that you can check the pcv valve by pulling it out and shaking it. Sometimes they get clogged and there wont be a rattling sound and that is when they stop working.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kjg8erz8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What does blow by feel like? Anyway you can tell or is it just by getting a compression check?

Is this a common problem for turboed cars?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you cant feel blow by... blow by typically occurs MORE OFTEN in higher compression ratio engines and at high RPM. yes it happens in turbo charged hondas.. as i said before the best way to relieve the pressure if to put a breather KIT from endyn or figure a way to route the PCV system so that it will work at idle as it should.. and then as you boost.. pressure also needs to be relieved.. heres what i did

I ran the PCV valve off of my valve cover as the way it comes stock.. in other words i did not touch that.. it is a check valve .. so at idle when car is in vacuum, it is pulling the pressure out of the head and releiving crankcase pressure as it would stock.. now the problem comes when you boost. being that its a one way check valve, when you boost, the pcv valve closes and excess pressure can build up in the crankcase and in the head (under the valve cover) so what i did was i ran a hose from the valve cover nipple, to the INTAKE side of my turbo .. this way when the turbo spools and starts making boost, the intake side is creating a vaccuum and helping pull the pressure out of the crankcase/head of my motor. NOW to make sure i dont injest any oil into my turbo.. i put a JAZ breather TANK inline with that hose that runs from the nipple of the valve cover to the turbo. This way.. at idle the pressure is being relieved out of the filter element and wont spit oil into my turbo.. at boost the turbo sucks air out of the valve cover nipple and should any oil get taken out of there, it will end up getting caught in the breather tank. IMO it works just fine. but a endyn breather kit set up WITH this set up would be OPTIMAL
Old 04-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J337_UNIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J337_UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you cant feel blow by... blow by typically occurs MORE OFTEN in higher compression ratio engines and at high RPM. yes it happens in turbo charged hondas.. as i said before the best way to relieve the pressure if to put a breather KIT from endyn or figure a way to route the PCV system so that it will work at idle as it should.. and then as you boost.. pressure also needs to be relieved.. heres what i did

I ran the PCV valve off of my valve cover as the way it comes stock.. in other words i did not touch that.. it is a check valve .. so at idle when car is in vacuum, it is pulling the pressure out of the head and releiving crankcase pressure as it would stock.. now the problem comes when you boost. being that its a one way check valve, when you boost, the pcv valve closes and excess pressure can build up in the crankcase and in the head (under the valve cover) so what i did was i ran a hose from the valve cover nipple, to the INTAKE side of my turbo .. this way when the turbo spools and starts making boost, the intake side is creating a vaccuum and helping pull the pressure out of the crankcase/head of my motor. NOW to make sure i dont injest any oil into my turbo.. i put a JAZ breather TANK inline with that hose that runs from the nipple of the valve cover to the turbo. This way.. at idle the pressure is being relieved out of the filter element and wont spit oil into my turbo.. at boost the turbo sucks air out of the valve cover nipple and should any oil get taken out of there, it will end up getting caught in the breather tank. IMO it works just fine. but a endyn breather kit set up WITH this set up would be OPTIMAL </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, i like your idea
Old 04-25-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much pressure is supposed to be exiting out of the crankcase if you rev it standing still? if i put my hand on the valve cover hose, i can feel the air coming out, and when i rev it, it increases. i couldnt really feel anything from the crankcase hose tho (where pcv valve plugs into). i revved to about 4-5000. this worries me as i just started to get smoke out of my exhaust at 5500+rpms.

i think i can feel air coming out of the dipstick hole, and when i rev that high smoke comes out of it as well. im thinking the stock breather in the rear may be clogged or something?
Old 04-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What stops oil VAPOR from going into your engine, promoting detonation? Your catch can does not filter all the oil out of the air, so some would have to wind up in your combustion chamber. Most people vent pressure directly to the outside, which of course, is not smog legal.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Re: (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What stops oil VAPOR from going into your engine, promoting detonation? Your catch can does not filter all the oil out of the air, so some would have to wind up in your combustion chamber. Most people vent pressure directly to the outside, which of course, is not smog legal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

venting it in the atmosphere is not the best idea IMO only because when you boost.. the crankcase builds up pressure.. although pressure would normally exit the valve cover nipple, it does not exit fast enough..and as an adverse effect you would get leaky seals per se.. like maybe a main rear seal leak.. should u hook it up to a vacuum source where it would aid in pulling the gases out substantially, you would benefit from that. I understand i could be taking in oil vapors, but it can be cut down by baffeling the breather tank.. such as filling it with steal wool or something.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Re: (XDEep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XDEep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much pressure is supposed to be exiting out of the crankcase if you rev it standing still? if i put my hand on the valve cover hose, i can feel the air coming out, and when i rev it, it increases. i couldnt really feel anything from the crankcase hose tho (where pcv valve plugs into). i revved to about 4-5000. this worries me as i just started to get smoke out of my exhaust at 5500+rpms.

i think i can feel air coming out of the dipstick hole, and when i rev that high smoke comes out of it as well. im thinking the stock breather in the rear may be clogged or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the air that comes out it pressure from the crankcase.. obviosly as you revved the motor the amount of air to exit would increase.. but by hooking that up to a vacuum source like the inlet of the turbo, it would pull it out faster , preventing pressure to build up in the crank case which would result in blow by.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree that a vacuum source would be better for pulling pressure from the pan but not at the cost of pushing oil vapors into your combustion. No way your catch can can filter the oil out. This is a recipe for detonation.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J337_UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I ran the PCV valve off of my valve cover as the way it comes stock.. in other words i did not touch that.. it is a check valve .. so at idle when car is in vacuum, it is pulling the pressure out of the head and releiving crankcase pressure as it would stock.. now the problem comes when you boost. being that its a one way check valve, when you boost, the pcv valve closes and excess pressure can build up in the crankcase and in the head (under the valve cover) so what i did was i ran a hose from the valve cover nipple, to the INTAKE side of my turbo .. this way when the turbo spools and starts making boost, the intake side is creating a vaccuum and helping pull the pressure out of the crankcase/head of my motor. NOW to make sure i dont injest any oil into my turbo.. i put a JAZ breather TANK inline with that hose that runs from the nipple of the valve cover to the turbo. This way.. at idle the pressure is being relieved out of the filter element and wont spit oil into my turbo.. at boost the turbo sucks air out of the valve cover nipple and should any oil get taken out of there, it will end up getting caught in the breather tank. IMO it works just fine. but a endyn breather kit set up WITH this set up would be OPTIMAL </TD></TR></TABLE>

believe it or not i did the same thing to my dsm, it kept leaking oil from the valve cover gasket and i couldnt figure it out. this guy told me all about blow by and i sat for like 3 hours and realized i could do this. great minds think alike. keep up the good work
Old 04-27-2004, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey J337 do you have any pics of your setup?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:22 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey J337 do you have any pics of your setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lets see the pics
Old 04-27-2004, 05:27 AM

Default Re: What else can cause blow by? (ludelvr)

i believe you can check if your pcv valve is good by pinching the hose with a pair of pliers or something (while the engine is running)...

if the valve is good, you should hear it click...
Old 04-27-2004, 07:43 AM

Default Re: What else can cause blow by? (pgpunkguy)

for those running a catch can inline to the turbo inlet, how do you know how efficient the catch can is? some people get loads of oil spitting out of their valve cover so i imagine a fair amount is getting by the catch can and into the turbo.

i know an oily compressor is a sign of leaky seals, but is the oil in any way harmful to the turbo?

i was thinking if you could cool that vapor more it would help in condensation and increase catch can efficiency.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats why i just run my crankase valve open and with no filter. I run non-baffled catchcan setup from pcv valve..
Old 04-27-2004, 08:51 AM

Default Re: (Boostfedb18c1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfedb18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lets see the pics</TD></TR></TABLE>