Notices

How Valve cover Works

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Valve cover Works

Can someone explain how a valve cover works. I saw that it has a plate(like) piece on the inside, which creates a gap between the plate and the top of the valve cover. Also, explain how the breather and pcv valve works (in common english)

thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Valve cover Works

Im SO sure you could not find this in a simple google search...
Old 10-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TehGhett0P1mp
im sure this is called honda tech. a forum to help people learn things they dont know.

What Valve Cover Breathers Do
Herein lies the reason and function of the valve cover breathers. The blow by builds up in the oil pan as the combustion passes the rings. As it fills the block, it must be evacuated. If there is no way for this blow by to escape, the pressure would increase to the point that it would blow out gaskets in the engine. That is one function of the valve cover breathers--another is that it takes horsepower away from the engine when pressure exits in the block and the pistons' movement must work against this pressure. Another consideration is that with proper ventilation, the oil will stay cleaner longer. The last major function is environmental. All engines, with the exception of race cars, have this blow by vented into the intake manifold to be re-burned rather than released to the atmosphere.
The prerequisite for proper operation of a valve cover breather is first to allow the release of internal pressure in the engine to be vented to the intake manifold. The second item is to have a design to prohibit any debris from entering the engine through the breather and to prevent oil in the valve cover from being sucked out of the valve cover by the suction of the intake manifold. This is accomplished with a thin plate covering the bottom opening of the breather. The plate is shimmed to allow pressure to escape around the plate but keeps the oil from escaping

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5063486...ers-work.html#
Old 10-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrbh22
im sure this is called honda tech. a forum to help people learn things they dont know.

Herein lies the reason and function of the valve cover breathers. The blow by builds up in the oil pan as the combustion passes the rings. As it fills the block, it must be evacuated. If there is no way for this blow by to escape, the pressure would increase to the point that it would blow out gaskets in the engine. That is one function of the valve cover breathers--another is that it takes horsepower away from the engine when pressure exits in the block and the pistons' movement must work against this pressure. Another consideration is that with proper ventilation, the oil will stay cleaner longer. The last major function is environmental. All engines, with the exception of race cars, have this blow by vented into the intake manifold to be re-burned rather than released to the atmosphere.
The prerequisite for proper operation of a valve cover breather is first to allow the release of internal pressure in the engine to be vented to the intake manifold. The second item is to have a design to prohibit any debris from entering the engine through the breather and to prevent oil in the valve cover from being sucked out of the valve cover by the suction of the intake manifold. This is accomplished with a thin plate covering the bottom opening of the breather. The plate is shimmed to allow pressure to escape around the plate but keeps the oil from escaping

thanks alot!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TehGhett0P1mp
Thanks for NOTHING
Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrbh22

So its okay for different people to ask the same question over and over just so they can learn? Even though the answer can be found by simply making an attempt to search? Also I wonder where you found that explanation....
Old 10-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes! thats why this is a great resource to help people learn you were there someday too dont forget that.

if you wonder where i found the answer check the link.. thats why i posted it. yes i did search and found an answer that fit his needs. its not too hard to help someone out. if you didnt need any information from honda tech then why are you on here?. since everything you ever wanted to know is on google.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyonda
thanks alot!
no problem man.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am on here because there is a lot of information on here if you SEARCH for it which is my only point. If it is on here or google it does not make any difference its just annoying when good information gets pushed down just because everyone feels the need to ask something that has most likely been answered before.

Btw it is obvious the link was found via a search engine, but either way the guy got the info he needed and I guess thats the most important part..
Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i see your side and i do agree about info being pushed down. on the other hand have you tried the search on here recently? it almost automatically takes you to the for sale section and you find no good info.

i hope we all got some good info out of this thread. have a good one pimp
Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, the reason I asked is because I am going to make a valve cover soon. And was going to enlarge the breather port, and was wondering if it would impact how the whole system functions.

Also was wondering if the spacing between the plate and the cover makes a difference, just in case the volume got changed slightly. When I searched, I ended up finding stuff for muscle cars only.

thnx