Notices

Werid overheadting problem.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Werid overheadting problem.

Hey guys, My car has this werid problem to start to get hot and over heat but it dosent happen when i'm getting on it on the high way it's usually fine. But if i'm cursing around the streets and start to lightly spool the turbo,meaning in second hit 4000rpms shift and go threw the gears at about that rpm only making about 10 psi it starts to get hot if i'm cursing normaly out of boost it's fine and going threw the gears all the way to redline is also fine but short little bursts at 10 psi insted of 20 psi it gets hot. Whats the cause of this?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Werid overheadting problem. (b16bri)

How big is your i/c? If it's restricting airflow to your radiator then there is your problem. Your obviously going slower while not on the hwy so the air can't pass through both the i/c and radiator efficiently. What is your radiator fan setup btw?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Werid overheadting problem. (LSEGHATCH)

I have a half style radiator made bye fludyine I had to get the half bc of the full-race mani. I have a shrouded fan I for get the name but it's loud and pushes a lot of air and high power. My IC is pretty big it's a precision 750hp core so it's pretty large. If thats my problem how do I stop that ? a block of plate or relocation of IC ?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well there are a lot of people running a similar setup and not having problems. Possible air in coolant or the fan isn't push/pulling? enough?
Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try re-directing the air towards your intercooler!!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Werid overheadting problem. (LSEGHATCH)

Recently I did just change my thermoustat And i drained my rad and added all new coolant, but If there was air inside my coolant wouldent I be over heating more often or no ? And how would I re-direct the air towards my IC any ideas ?
Old 07-04-2008, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi there

i was worried about this problem when it came to building my own top mount Gt40r as the radiator was to be mounted so close to the dp..

I designed and built a very simple unit that would run the fan at a slow speed when the car was moving slowly. This would rely on the water being warm (so it wouldnt do it on a freezing day).

When the standard fan switch closed, the circuit ran the fan at full speed. I have yet to finish the build but im hoping this will make the car more drivable on normal roads eg. traffic jams...
Old 07-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Werid overheadting problem. (purplecivicturbo)

why dont just wrap the dp
Old 07-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Werid overheadting problem. (purplecivicturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purplecivicturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi there

i was worried about this problem when it came to building my own top mount Gt40r as the radiator was to be mounted so close to the dp..

I designed and built a very simple unit that would run the fan at a slow speed when the car was moving slowly. This would rely on the water being warm (so it wouldnt do it on a freezing day).

When the standard fan switch closed, the circuit ran the fan at full speed. I have yet to finish the build but im hoping this will make the car more drivable on normal roads eg. traffic jams... </TD></TR></TABLE>

you can do this but you'd probably need a 2 speed fan and relay setup to make it happen.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16bri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My IC is pretty big it's a precision 750hp core so it's pretty large. If thats my problem how do I stop that ? a block of plate or relocation of IC ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

how much power are you making/expecting make? If you aren't looking to make 750hp...then just get a smaller IC that will still suit your power needs and allow better airflow to your radiator. You can also run to Autozone or the like...and grab a small bottle of Redline Watter Wetter. Follow the directions on the bottle for mixing and watch your temps stay a tad bit lower. It's about $8-$10 a bottle and doesn't involve breaking out a wrench at all.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Werid overheadting problem. (jz98ctr)

I'm making 454whp right now.. but more in the future I dont plan on breaking 750 hp but i get an IC that big because it was a great deal. What excatly dose this water wetter do ? Just add it to your coolant ?
Old 07-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to wrap my DP i just havent gotten to it yet.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16bri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Recently I did just change my thermoustat And i drained my rad and added all new coolant, but If there was air inside my coolant wouldent I be over heating more often or no ? And how would I re-direct the air towards my IC any ideas ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry I meant, re-direct the air going to the Radiator...

Like so....

Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Werid overheadting problem. (LS-VTEC-TURBO-EF9)

^ something like that is perfect. i'm not sure if its the same with EF chassis cars, but with some lower model 92-00 civics that don't have air conditioning have a block off like that, they just drop right in, you can find them or buy them new for pretty cheap.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16bri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm making 454whp right now.. but more in the future I dont plan on breaking 750 hp but i get an IC that big because it was a great deal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahhh..IC...pun intended

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16bri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What excatly dose this water wetter do ? Just add it to your coolant ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just add to your radiator in the right ratio to water or coolant. If I'm not mistaken...it actually works better with just (water/water wetter) than (coolant/water wetter)
Old 07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Werid overheadting problem. (LS-VTEC-TURBO-EF9)

Can I make that peice to re-direct my air in to the rad or do i have to buy that and if I was to make it how and what would I make it with ?
Old 07-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could make one pretty easily, some sheet metal would work just fine.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16bri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can I make that peice to re-direct my air in to the rad or do i have to buy that and if I was to make it how and what would I make it with ?</TD></TR></TABLE>
THats my rad block off plate in the pic. Its really easy to make, first use cardboard to make a template then trace it onto sheet metal, cut and your done. I should go into business making those plates, I had a couple of people ask about them so far.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Werid overheadting problem. (Mr.Death)

Ya you should lol By anychance you wouldent have any pics of the building process. Meaning from the cardboard template to the actual sheet metal cutting ? If not i'm sure i'll figure it out.

Thanks to everyone who helped
Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry dude, no more pics, you'll do fine. Its easy.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Werid overheadting problem. (Mr.Death)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.Death &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
THats my rad block off plate in the pic. Its really easy to make, first use cardboard to make a template then trace it onto sheet metal, cut and your done. I should go into business making those plates, I had a couple of people ask about them so far.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Make some, sell 'em, and make some loot!
Death-plates or ban
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id buy one