Notices

Well I hit the track last Friday (7/26/02)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well I hit the track last Friday (7/26/02)

Helmet in hand, Z10 bars tightend, Nitto DRs on, Hondata 2B sitting tight and nicley tuned, I could just smell the 13's waiting for me... yet alas I've never been more disgusted with my performance before. On with the story..

We arrive at Moroso at about 6:30pm, the first thing I notice as I'm sitting in the tech line, is my temp gauge slowly working it's way north. I've never in 4 years seen my car overheat in the slightest, but now the gauge was headed to "H" and it wasn't stopping. I turn the heater on full blast which held it at 3/4 of the way up, and as I gave it throttle, the temp needle came back to center. Hrmm.. at this point I figured the coolant must be low which is why it came back to normal levels when I revved the engine. Anyways I made it through tech and lined up on the staging lines. The car is still randomly heating up so I keep it off as long as I could before it was my turn to run.

We finally get called out there, I roll my way up to the lane, do a quick burnout to hear up my ghey bald-*** Nitto 555R's, bring the revs up to about 4.5k at the line, light goes green at the first thing I notice was that I seemed to get an awfully good launch for the first time!! Very little wheel hop and good traction, but it seemed as if by the time I hit 3rd, the car was just lacking. I figured it was in my head, but the time slip confirmed it..

14.307 @ 98.4mph

But here's the real kicker, my 60' time was .2 better than on my previous best E.T.

My old slip/setup was: AFC-hack @ 12psi w/ C10 in the tank

60'- 2.4
1/8- 8.9
1/4- 14.16
mph- 101.7

This new slip/setup: Hondata 2B tuned (217whp) @ 10psi w/ pump gas

60'- 2.2
1/8- 9.2
1/4- 14.307
mph- 98.4

So I managed to get off the line much better than my wheel hopping previous best times, yet I still pulled .2 slower in the 1/4 mile and almost 3mph off my usual 100-101mph traps

I gave it another go, but I tried a lower launch and nearly wound up stalling off the line when the tires hooked up, so I ended up with a 14.8 @ 97mph. By this time I was so disapointed, I handed the keys to my fiance for the last run.. 15.1 @ 96mph

I guess I've conceeded to the fact, my car will never run 13's in this form The traction for the first time was there, the Z10's help quell wheel hopping tremendously, yet the car ran slower with the Hondata tuning. I thoughts of the possibilites.. car running too hot? (but it would cool down when on the throttle), the heat/humidity of the day? (but i've run in high heat before), my over-rich problems with the Hondata/idling issues leaving me with charcoal black plugs? (but the problem is under idling and not on throttle)... oh well. I need a

BTW I checked and I was boosting the full 10psi. Checked my compression Saturday just in case, and I got 10-15psi lower in each cylinder than my previous test 6k miles ago, but the temp gauge was on C when I tested it so I don't think the rings had expanded fully when I did it. So I have no other answers than I just 'lost' power somewhere..

[Modified by VTC_CiViC, 1:47 PM 7/29/2002]
Old 07-29-2002, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Well I hit the track last Friday (VTC_CiViC)

don't lose hope, man.. you'll get that 13s sooner or later...
Old 07-29-2002, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'd be surprised how much slower your car will run depending on the weather. My car heak soaks like a beeoch, due to the cramp engine bay, much like any F/I honda is going to. My advice is that if it runs hot while sitting, turn on your heater full blast, and wire up your fans for a manual bypass switch. I don't even bother to race on my car hard when it's terribly hot/humid outside.

Also if you're plugs are being fouled, no matter if your engine is tuned perfect, it's gonna run worse. Fouled plugs prevent your engine from combusting correctly. Clean those things up or get some new ones, see if you can fix your rich idle problem. Maybe try out an MSD ignitoin setup.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Well I hit the track last Friday (Speed PHreak)

kinda off topic but...

where the z10 bars worth it?
Old 07-29-2002, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well I hit the track last Friday (brcivic411)

kinda off topic but...

where the z10 bars worth it?
Absolutley!
Old 07-29-2002, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn.... maybe type C has something to say about that.. heh heh...

14's own j00 ! At least your car runs right ?

What you prolly need are larger rims to reduce that wheel hop ! *hint *hint

You'll make it to the 13's, I am definite ! Just gotta have faith ! It was sorta hot on Friday, so maybe that affected it.

X2 - who'll be back soon...
Old 07-29-2002, 02:57 PM

your worried about hitting 13s? heh, just wait till you finish your build-up. we have faith in 13s