Notices

do i really need a j&s?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i really need a j&s?

i already did a search and read up...nothing about this. the j&s retards timing due to det. it goes off of the knock sensor right? but doesn't a gsr already have a knock sensor? i thought the stock ecu retards timing due to det?
Old 07-26-2002, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i really need a j&s? (batboyvaj)

If you dont have a stand alone then I think the J&S is definiately worth it. When the car runs lean and it detects detonation the J&S will retard timing to help protect your motor. I cant think of a better way to have that piece of mind. Im not exactly sure how the factor knock sensor works, but when you are boosted im sure the factory knock sensor cant handle all of the load.

You also get meter that shows how much timing is being taken out and a AF meter that tells you if you are running lean or rich...its a pretty neat thing.

The J&S can also retard timing per cyclinder....very nice.

I might have mine for sale soon since I bought the EMS system.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i really need a j&s? (RATEDR)

the v2? how much...im me
Old 07-27-2002, 02:27 PM
New User

i know someone sellin the v2, monitor, audible alert for $430 shipped. im me if interested.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:53 PM

Default Re: do i really need a j&s? (dlplayboy)

so j&s controls timing? i originally planned on going w/ the vafc "hack" setup but decided to go w/ hondata 2b because of reliability issues. will the vafc hack and a j&s safeguard do the job or is hondata the way to go? there's a sale on the j&s at importparts.com and seems like a good deal. any thought on this?
Old 07-27-2002, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: do i really need a j&s? (theory48)

so j&s controls timing? i originally planned on going w/ the vafc "hack" setup but decided to go w/ hondata 2b because of reliability issues. will the vafc hack and a j&s safeguard do the job or is hondata the way to go? there's a sale on the j&s at importparts.com and seems like a good deal. any thought on this?
2b w/ boost would come out cheaper then vafc w/ j&s wouldn't it? get in on the hondasaver gb. can't post the price but the 2b is a damn good price. Not including tuning time of course.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:19 PM

Default Re: do i really need a j&s? (tonydatyga)

hondata 2b it is then. already sold my vafc and just gathering some info on the hondata gb. waiting for a reply from rocket or 2kinteg.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i really need a j&s? (theory48)

i would go with a 2b also...but me being a 01 car it just isn't worth all the money to convert over to obd1. gotta get the harness and the ecu. after all that, i coulda just got the ems.but i'm never planning on boosting more than 8 lbs. so i'm just gonna stick to 8:1 fmu and 310 injectors.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:12 AM

So you guys wouldn't get the J&S if yo have the hondata already? I have the Stage 4b is that cool? Or should I still get the J&S and I have 440cc RC injectors
Old 07-29-2002, 03:33 PM

Default Re: do i really need a j&s? (KwkyGSupeR)

not sure but i'm thinking the j&s is just a piggyback system that controls timing and monitors the knock sensor. i posted this up because i had a vafc but sold it to save up for a 2b. But, since a j&s + vafc would be about the same as a hondata i might as well just go w/ the latter. i'm just trying to be as cautious as possible when i make my choices because i don't wanna end up buying new parts if i find out i made the wrong decision. but then, nothing's perfect right? especially w/ modding cars.