Notices

Weird vacuum/BOV problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird vacuum still/*BOV problem fixed*

I finally got my car back. I've been on crutches and my dad has been driving my car. During the time he had it, the MBC fell apart...literally. The screw, ball, and spring fell out, lol. So I just took it out of the equation and ran that vacuum line straight to the external wastegate.

Well, I guess when I did that, the BOV stopped working (Type S). No clue why, but the BOV wont blow off now. I took the vacuum line off and blew thru it to make sure there were no obstructions. I also tried to tighten it and loosen it, and noticed the top where the tension screw is, that spot on the purple top was stripped. So I dont know if the boost is coming out of there or something. No worries though, I have a Tial BOV sitting here.

Here's the vacuum issue I'm confused about. My autometer gauge has been off like 1-2 psi. It used to sit around 16"-18". But now when it idles, the gauge points b/w anywhere from 10"-14". Something seems goofy, but I dont know what would make the vacuum go that low when it idles. I posted the prob. about the BOV cause I think they might go hand in hand. Any ideas on either?

Modified by TurboGoKart at 10:14 AM 6/11/2005
Old 06-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird vacuum/BOV problems (TurboGoKart)

It shouldn't have anything to do with a boost leak or anything of that nature, because it holds boost just fine. My conclusion after driving it around, is either the boost gauge is messed up, which is quite possible--it's an autometer--or the BOV is fubar'd. In which case, I may try to get the new Tial on. Either way, anyone have another idea/suggestion?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can still have a bosot leak and still maintain max boost, if the leak is very vyery very tiny. Does it take any logner to reach full boost then it did before?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tchleung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can still have a bosot leak and still maintain max boost, if the leak is very vyery very tiny. Does it take any logner to reach full boost then it did before?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that's what makes it harder to figure out. Turbo still spools up fine, same as it did before. What I was trying to get at, is that a boost leak wouldnt cause the BOV not to open, would it?
Old 06-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I fixed the BOV issue. Apparently when I bought my Greddy Type S, there was a hard and soft spring. Well, I just found out, that they were both inside of the BOV, lol. I took it apart to find both the hard and soft springs sitting inside. It's a wonder it's worked for this long (abot 25k miles )

So I put the stiff spring in, and took it for a drive. It blows off like it should now. I'll need to stifffen it up, but it works great now. So I'll probably have one of these for sale now that this works, and I have my Tial here.

Those of you who have an external wastegate, does it suck in air from the top port? I have the vacuum hose hooked up to the side one, but the top one is sucking in some air. I think this is where my drop in vacuum is coming from. Which would make sense because boost is not affected, so it's not a leak or anything.