Notices

Weird problem, maybe headgasket or piston rings...???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem, maybe headgasket or piston rings...???

Its time for my annual weird *** problem that I cant figure out so here it is this time(its a few things, if you dont have time dont read this): It started about a week ago and its getting worse- My idle isnt perfect like it used to be, I thought it was just the cold weather but its still doing it and its warmer. It drops down to like 4-500ish after im up in the rpms a little (about 3000+), sometimes it actually dies but most of the time it just barely stays running.
Thats not the main problem though. I think its my headgasket leaking, but heres the details: I dont floor it anymore since this started but this is how it was when it first began, when I'd floor it it would be fine through first, but when I got into second it would be normal until full boost (13psi, 4-5K rpm) and then it would bog down really hard and studder and lose all its power. It did this in all the gears except first, always at full boost. I turned the boost down to 10psi and it stopped for about a day but then it started again, so I stopped flooring it. I know it has something to do with boost pressure cause if I would get on it but now floor it all the way, not letting the boost build, it would accelerate fine, just not as fast...
Now heres another factor- my radiator started leaking to (I just got it for christmas from my GF, and shes pissed about it but who cares it only cost $120 and I already ordered another one). So it started leaking about the same time this all happened, and I though it was a coincidence until it started leaking worse every time I would boost it up above like 7 or 8 I think. My turbo is about 1/8th" away from the rad too and it hits it sometimes so I might have banged a hole in it...
I think, and hope, its just my HG leaking boost pressure into my coolant system and in turn overpressurizing my radiator and causing it to leak. Does this make sense? I put rad stop leak in there everytime it starts leaking and that solves the problem until I boost it again.

My main question is: Could this have anything to do with my piston rings, cause one of my mechanic friends said it might be oil leaking past them and causing it to bog down like it is? I hope its just maybe some coolant getting in the cylinders cause even when the rad isnt leaking my coolant level is low when I check it after a day of driving(30mins).

Im making myself stay home all weekend and fix everything that I can think is wrong with it and I just wanted to get this up here incase anyone had any ideas or similar problems they could help me with. Sorry about how long it is but I like to be thorough so its easier to solve the problem.

Heres the setup: LS/VTEC Turbo(B18B1 block, B18C5 head), 8.5:1 SRP pistons, Eagle rods, block guard, Golden Eagle head studs, TOGA rod bearings, OEM honda headgasket, MSD ingition w/ blaster coil, custom log turbo maniold, Garret T3/T04E .48 exh./.60 turbine with ball bearing center section, full 3" downpipe and exhaust, Tial 38mm, Edelbrock Victor X IM, HKS turbo timer, Apexi BOV, Greddy Profec B Spec II @12psi, CC stage 5 clutch, Exedy 9.5 lb flywheel, DSM 450's, tuned with Hondata

Thanks for the help
Old 03-07-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Weird problem, maybe headgasket or piston rings...??? (TurboCoop)

I guess it was too long so nobody wants to read it
Old 03-07-2006, 04:54 PM

One more thing- sometimes when Im slowing down with it in gear, or just let off the gas and leave it in gear after like 5 seconds the CEL comes on. It goes off after I turn off the key though??? Completely random times too, I havent had a chance to pull the code yet but has this ever happened to anyone? My car is haunted
Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM

bump, any input anyone???
Old 03-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the code, and run some simple tests.

That may lead to your answers
Old 03-08-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Weird problem, maybe headgasket or piston rings...??? (urbansi)

What kind of simple tests-- I just did a compression test- 125/115/120/115 and last time I did it (a few months ago), it was 200/200/180/200 or something. What else could I do, how do I figure out if its the piston rings or headgasket thats leaking all the pressure?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well do a wet compression test

Perform it the same way you would do a normal compression test but this time add 2-3 drops of oil into each cylinder. If the numbers go up its the rings, if they do nothing its going to be the head gasket or a valve problem. JMO

Also try a leak down test.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Weird problem, maybe headgasket or piston rings...??? (urbansi)

alright thanks, Ill try the wet comp test. I should have thought of that...
Old 03-12-2006, 08:11 PM

did you solve your problem? or at least find out what it is? i am having the same problem right now on my b20 turbo..
Old 03-13-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Re: (johnny_dc2)

nah, they gave me the wrong headgasket so I didnt pull the head yet to find out. I will do it this weekend and find out. Is yours doing the exact same thing, have you looked at your plugs?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:19 PM

Default Re: (TurboCoop)

I did some tests today and my headgasket is in fact bad, and my valve seals on the #4 cylinder are blown too. It will be fixed this weekend though that should take care of everything. I think the bad idle is from the plugs going bad cause of the HG, and I got a new radiator too.