Notices

weird idle problem

Old 10-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird idle problem

ok, so this has happened a few times now. i work all day so my car is pretty much just parked at work for 12 hours, 6-7 days a week. i only work 3 miles from home. here's the situations

Tuesday...in the morning, i start it to warm up, it's FINE. no problems! drive to work, it's coo. now i'm getting ready to go home from work. i go outside to leave the car on and warm it up. i crank it, it fires up, and dies as soon as i put the key in on position. i try to start it again and get nothing. third attempt and the car can't idle. vac is at 10 and it's like hesitating to stay on. (maybe the knock is keeping it alive?) so i turn it off, pop the hood, check everything, it's all hooked up. i mean the car hasn't gone anywhere, so why would there be a problem? i leave it for a few mintues, try to fire it up again, same thing so i'm reving it up to 2k-3k to give it some gas, after 30 seconds or so it goes normal. GREAT! drive it home, leave it there. next morning, it's fine.

Saturday night.....i'm at church for a youth event. i'm leaving to go back to the business to close it up with my parents. try to go, and it's hesistating, not idling correctly, just tryin to stay a live. vac is at 10. so i give it some oil, about 1/4 quart. and then try it again, starts ok. vac was at 15 and eventually dropped to 20. i drive off, no problems for the rest of the night.

Monday afternoon....i'm leaving my house to go back to the business. i'm backing out my driveway, i stop before coming out because there's a car, and the car dies. no apparent reason why? i'm already stopped and about 3 seconds later, the car just goes dead. i try to start it again, nothing. i attempt a few times, nothing. give it some gas before starting, nothing either. so i decided to change the spark plugs, they look ok. they're not really dark or anything. some whiteness on the tip (it's the electrode i think?) i change it up, start it up, it's normal. EXCEPT! i see some white smoke come out the back. it looked like there might've been a little blueness to it, but it wasn't coming out for a long time. other thing i noticed was some black little pebbles. would that just be carbon? i don't know if my rings are gone or what? but the car drives normal.

i've been having problems with my compustar alarm too. the only thing i've changed recently is going OBD1. would the harness cause all this mess? keep in mind that every morning the car starts normal. it's does these cases out of no where. and i'm lost of what the problem could really be. i have a obd2b harness that i got from a honda-tech member. the harness looks like it's a jkobd.com one. was i suppose to change some pinout or something? the ecu i'm using is a p72, not chipped.

anyone think they know what could be the problem?

Modified by undercoverdc2 at 7:27 PM 10/25/2005
Old 10-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird idle problem (undercoverdc2)

mine does this too it is usually when it is hot outside which would explain why this happens to you in the afternoon when you go home...i have narrowed mine down to the iacv needing replaced...but untill then i just deal with it....just give her throttle to stay alive....maybe our problems are different but kinda sounds like mine.....does your idle hold constant or does it rev up and down...mine revs up and down.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the weird thing is that my car is pretty much normal. lol there's no codes as well. i mean this happened out of no where and i have no idea what's causing it.

there seems to be no particular reason why it occured. on two occasions, it was a night around 7:30ish to 8pm and one occasion in the afternoon.

my car idles fine, it was just when i started the car up that it would hesistate and try to stay alive. no flux in idle though. i'm not to sure of the problem being like yours.

the harness was in a civic before i installed it in my integra. i wouldn't think that would cause a problem though. there's some putty to hold the wires on the adapter piece to the obd2 plugs so i wouldn't think anyone messed with those pins. i'm wondering if i should get a new harness to see if it'll make the difference.