Notices

How much do turbo installs usually run?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 11:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do turbo installs usually run?

I'm tyring to get a ball park figure to see how much I'm going to have to pay.

Besides the turbo that's being put in, i would aslo be having 4 Defi Link gauges installed, Boost Controller installed, Hondata installed. It's all ways the little things that add up.

I am also getting to custom charger pipe made, probably out of Stainless i guess. And I was thinking of asking them to cut up my old AEM intake to make a inlet pipe for the turbo itself.

I think that would pretty much be it. There is tuning but I will keep that separate for now as I already know how much tha is goin to run.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (Snafu-Si)

DIY = $0

Sonny
Old 07-09-2002, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually a typical turbo kit install is 500-700. add about 30-40 an hour for other miscellaneous installs.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:08 AM

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (GudeH23a)

reputable shops around here quoted me at $900, and they did my buddy's supercharger for a quoted $600 butt ended up being like $900.

im doing mine myself, and im thinking the stress and mistakes i made would add up to about $500 i wouldve spent on someone else installing my own, butt the experience and knowledge i gained was a lot.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (ceemarun)

I've thought about doing it myself tons of times but it would be nice if I were to be able to do it with somebody to look over my shoulder. Unfortunetly, I don't.

If I had some detailed intructions, that would help too but I dont'. Does anybody have any detailed instructions?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I also don't know how to weld. Nor do I have the tools to do so.

This is only the 2nd thing I've had to had somebody else do. The only other thing was a Clutch and Quaife. Everything else on my car from suspension and all the bolt on parts i did by myself.

I would LOVE to do my own turbo install, with help.

If it was something small to install, hey if I mess up, it ain't no biggie. But if I **** up a turbo install... boom! no engine, no car, i'm fucked.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But if I **** up a turbo install... boom! no engine, no car, i'm fucked.
C'mon man, it's not that bad. just don't have the boost cranked right away. as long as you have oil in the turbo you won't mess anything up if you aren't boosting. If you're using Hondata I wouldn't worry about anything, since it has the base maps, too.
Also, you don't have to weld your charge pipes. I guess it would be cool to weld the tap in the oil pan, but I think I'm just going to do a bulkhead style fitting and seal it with RTV and some JB Weld on the outside...

I know it will be a bitch, but I'd rather be pissed for a day than have to spend $700-900 bucks!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 01:06 AM
KLN

http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yelevich/turbo/turbo.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~sicivic99/TurboInst.htm

http://imglib.************/index.cgi?cmd=viewlib&id=1

go to http://www.importparts.com and go to the "customer service" section, it has written instructions on how to install the drag turbo kit

i did my own custom turbo kit with the help of all those sites and the "search" function here on HT...

the cheapest i found around here was $400, if i had all the parts for the turbo kit....
Old 07-10-2002, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (KLN)

There is no replacement for experience. Do it your self and you will learn so much.

Rob
Old 07-10-2002, 08:15 AM

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (rjardy)

There is no replacement for experience. Do it your self and you will learn so much.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sonny
Old 07-10-2002, 08:48 AM

I also don't know how to weld. Nor do I have the tools to do so.
This was my main problem, cause I needed a DP fabricated....but I talked to Geoff and he said that if I sent him my turbo and manifold he could fabricate me one. Once I break this new motor in and pay off some bills....I'm gonna send my turbo and manifold to him and get the DP made....unless a shop in-town can do it, but they're all dicks. But yea...after that I'm gonna make an attempt to do it myself with the help of the people on this board.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:19 AM

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (Projekt20)

I'm gonna install my DragIII myself. I dont' care how long it takes i'm not shelling out 700-800 bucks. I got my friends thats all going turbo eventually. With all the heads together i know we can figure it out.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (speedymon)

It Took me a good 3 weeks to install mine on my CRX. I ran into a few snags with my install, got caught up with work. So I had only had time do it on the weenends. But it turned out good in the end.

I thought about letting someone else do it, but then I was like no way. Nobody touches my car but me and a select few friends. Plus the install fee for my setup would have been outrageous. You can do it man. if you're not afriad to get your hands dirty it'll be ok. It's not like your re-building an engine. It's really just another bolt-on if you think about it. You'll get a lot out of it by doing it yourself, plus if something sin't running/working right you'll have a better idea of how to fix it. Just make sure you double check everything, and go about it slowly if you have to and you'll be fine.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (Speed PHreak)

i'm in the same boat as you are man. i know if i concentrate on what i am doing i can do it right. i think its outrageous what mechanics charge. they very well know it shouldnt cost that much. plus experience is a good thing. if someone else installed it and you had a problem, you wouldn't know where to start looking.

i just received my engine today by freight and i've already started disassembling it for rebuilding. if you believe you can do it, then you can. the only thing holding anyone back from doing anything is not having the proper tools, but other than that its straight forward.

good luck!!
Old 07-10-2002, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (Sonny)

DIY = $0

Sonny
fasho. do it yourself, or stop working on your car.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (bretx0r)

I agree. Do it yourself. You shouldnt be involved in this hobby if your not willing to work on your own car. Not trying to be a dick, but thats just my opinion. My engine bay caught on fire. I had to solder the entire wiring harness back together, replace everything that was melted, and repaint the whole engine bay in my garage. Now how much do you think that would have cost me?
Old 07-10-2002, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (turboeg)

My engine bay caught on fire. I had to solder the entire wiring harness back together, replace everything that was melted, and repaint the whole engine bay in my garage. Now how much do you think that would have cost me?
Holy **** that sucks
Old 07-10-2002, 01:45 PM

Like me.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:30 PM

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (ion_four)

C'mon man, it's not that bad. just don't have the boost cranked right away. as long as you have oil in the turbo you won't mess anything up if you aren't boosting. If you're using Hondata I wouldn't worry about anything, since it has the base maps, too.
Also, you don't have to weld your charge pipes. I guess it would be cool to weld the tap in the oil pan, but I think I'm just going to do a bulkhead style fitting and seal it with RTV and some JB Weld on the outside...

I know it will be a bitch, but I'd rather be pissed for a day than have to spend $700-900 bucks!!!
you answered my question here about the hondata. i'm thinking about buying one so if i install myself, i wouldn't have any trouble as long as i don't boost alot? how hard is it to install a hondata? is it mainly splicing into ecu? or is that for piggybacks only? i just need the car to run safely 'til i get it to a tuner.

to snafu-si: wow, you did all the work yourself? how was the install on the suspension does it come w/ instructions? i'm doing my own turbo kit myself too and seemed to be easier than suspension. so i guess you can do the turbo kit yourself too. i've been on this board for about a little over a month and can't believe the amount of information i absorbed. thanks guys! and -Tech RULEZZZ!!!!

[Modified by theory48, 8:33 AM 7/11/2002]
Old 07-10-2002, 11:42 PM

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (theory48)

the first time i had the dragIII installed, i got it done at Signal Auto in Torrance, they quoted me $500, but when i picked it up they charged my $700, i didn't complain due to the fact that other shops wanted around 900-1000 for the install plus, it's nice to have a warrantied install...
but the 2nd time around, i installed the kit myself, MUCH more rewarding, and you learn so god damn much, and aside from random little **** you can pick up at hardware stores it was free...

and you can safely run 6-7 psi without tuning(at least with some kits), as long as you don't drive the hell out of it.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (Ruckus138)

I'd like to do it but I'd like to do it WITH somebody. I'm always up to work on my own car and I have done so, for the most part of my car.

But i also know when I'm in over my head. Obviously I don't feel comfortable letting people fiddle with my car but, I'm also not comfortable letting myself do someting that I don't know how to do.

If I could just find somebody to help me put it in, It'd be super. Did I just say "super"? I'm fine with the bolting crap but I dont' know crap abotu electronics. I imaigine I have do something with that with the Hondata and stuff. I mean, I checkd those links on the turbo install and everything looks like it makes lots of sense and all, but there are some of the more complecated things that I don't fully understand.

I just wish somebody could help me do it too. But man... if I did eventually do it myself. I think I would be really happy. Maybe I should have gotten into cars instead of Businesss as a major.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Take in mind even if I did get a shop to do it, it wouldn't be for like, months and months. I've still got a lot of time to learn and possilbly find somebody to help me as well. Only time will tell if I can do this myself or not.

I do know of a FOrd Mechanic that swapped in a V8 Chevy 350 into his Ferio by himself. he did mention that he would help me do it but that was a ways back, and when I asked him if he was free, he said that he is very busy as of late.... go figure...

Maybe he won't be busy later and he can help me. Until then, I'll be wating. I'm aslo goign to ask a few freinds that are better mechanically inclined than I am and see what they think about it... See if they think they might be able to tackle the job or not. If they think the have a good chance... then i will work from there.

That turbo link thingy up top is great by the way, thanks.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:23 AM
New User

Snafu-Si, I live in Adrian MI which is not even an hour from you. I am willing to help you with anything you have questions about. I recently installed my turbo including the Hondata and injectors all myself. You can PM me or get my email address from my profile and email me about anything. From there maybe we can set up a time I can come to help you out. Let me know.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:29 AM

Default Re: How much do turbo installs usually run? (TurboSedan)

Snafu-Si, I live in Adrian MI which is not even an hour from you. I am willing to help you with anything you have questions about. I recently installed my turbo including the Hondata and injectors all myself. You can PM me or get my email address from my profile and email me about anything. From there maybe we can set up a time I can come to help you out. Let me know.
wondering about the hondata. how was the install? is it really complicated (splicing, soldering). does it come w/ instructions? i can do basic soldering and splicing but nothing to technical and i'd like to try to install it myself. thanx

Quick Reply: How much do turbo installs usually run?