Notices

Water temp sensor tap (autometer)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water temp sensor tap (autometer)

I'm thinking about adding a coolant temp sensor, the autometer sensor is 1/8" NPT and has 3/8" and 1/2" NPT adapters.

Curious if anyone knows if there is any available plug i can remove near the ECT sensor or ECT gauge sending unit? I prefer not to use these rad hose adapters and would like to have the sensor not replace the bleed screws.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water temp sensor tap (autometer)

I use the bleeder screw hole.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any reason you don't want it in the bleed screw?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bleeder screw in the front is not a good option for the mere fact you can't use it anymore as its intended function and the location is not ideal. I have not had time to take a look but I have to imagine there must be some plug where one can tap into.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You do realize the bleeder screw is lower than the radiator cap... Aka the bleeder is useless and you'll never get air out of it
Old 10-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol really, do you realize air raises, next time you bleed your system open the nipple and let me know if the only thing you get out of it is just coolant.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never had issue and I've been using the bleeder screw for sensor for all my project, I fill the radiator with the top hose loose that's how I rough bleed, the rest is idle the car with the cap off until all bubbles stop.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:53 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Originally Posted by jetspeedz
lol really, do you realize air raises, next time you bleed your system open the nipple and let me know if the only thing you get out of it is just coolant.
I understand what you're trying to argue, but you aren't helping your point. Yes, air rises, but like the person before you said, the radiator cap is higher than the bleeder nipple. Regardless, on a lot of these motors, the IACV is higher than either of those when the car sits flat, so you really should put the front of the car on jack stands (or park on a hill) when bleeding the coolant. Also, it's better to use the radiator filler cap, because then you can see your coolant flow to keep an eye out for things like debris or bubbles that might be the sign of a larger problem (and you wouldn't be able to see just using the bleeder nipple).

Nipples are great for some things. Bleeding brakes? Love it. Bleeding clutch lines? Love it. Breasts? Just wouldn't be the same without them. Bleeding your cooling system? Pass.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is why I avoid the forums....I'm not here to argue how to bleed your system. My question was straight and to the point, clearly no one so far has answered it!

Not to worry, I found the proper spot and it is not the bleed nipple. For those who want to properly add this sensor PM me b/c I'm done with this thread...

I'll also be sure to tell my buddy who is a engineer at HPD next time I see him that he and the rest of the engineers who put coolant bleed nipples on engines should stuff a sensor in its place because it has no business being there!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jetspeedz
This is why I avoid the forums....I'm not here to argue how to bleed your system. My question was straight and to the point, clearly no one so far has answered it! Not to worry, I found the proper spot and it is not the bleed nipple. For those who want to properly add this sensor PM me b/c I'm done with this thread... I'll also be sure to tell my buddy who is a engineer at HPD next time I see him that he and the rest of the engineers who put coolant bleed nipples on engines should stuff a sensor in its place because it has no business being there!
My gsr motor doesnt have a nipple to bleed air like other motors. Did honda drop the ball on that motor?

Also you all are rooks. Remove the top radiator hose, fill coolant from there then fill the radiator then reinstall the hose and top it off. Never had air bubbles not never
Old 10-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist

Nipples are great for some things. Bleeding brakes? Love it. Bleeding clutch lines? Love it. Breasts? Just wouldn't be the same without them. Bleeding your cooling system? Pass.
HAHA!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 06:02 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

For someone with a thousand posts, you certainly don't seem to understand how forums work. It's called a free flow of information. "Your way" might not be the best way, even if it's the way it was manufactured to be done. Unless you're saying that all Honda motors are better off N/A, because that's how they came from the factory...

Oh well, Wantboost, we might as well shut down this entire subforum. It's not how Honda made it, so it must be wrong, and has no place on a technical forum like H-T.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its funny because I had the exact same question a while back, and it bothered me when I read that people were using the bleed nipple. It wasn't till a few weeks later that I was reading a thread on bleeding your coolant system and people had the same argument. Honestly I felt kinda silly because if you think about it they're right. Have you tried bleeding the system from the nipple. Your just gonna get coolant and no air out. Unless of course you drain enough out to uncover the bleed nipple. I guess long story short try not to take it as a personal attack when you end up being wrong. Isn't that the point of the forum.. Figuring out how to do things better and learning from others?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BLAAA
blaa
blaa
Yakitti smakitti BLAA BLAA
Old 10-03-2014, 11:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

.....im still pretty sure this is the best method. Totally worth it for 25$