Notices

water temp rising with A/C on

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water temp rising with A/C on

I have a 93 civic si with a greddy turbo kit. the car runs at about 210 F on my autometer (which it runs all year even in cold or hot weather)and at that temp the stock guage reads normal which on my ride is just below the half line. Is this normal or high?

the problem is In the hot weather when I turn on the A/C the temp rises it usually stays on the halfway mark of the stock guage and the autometer reads about 230.
and it only goes up when on the highway not when driving slow or stopped so it's not the fan. I have a huge blitz intercooler which is probably my problem but i also have a dualcore desol radiator, a fal fan, a 1.33 bar spoon rad cap, my turbo manifold is heat wrapped and i have a carbon hood with a turbo vent directly above the manifold.

Are these temps bad. any suggestions on what else i can do to get the temp down so i can use my A/C in the hot GA summers.

P.S. my autometer temp sensor is mounted where the bleed screw is on the housing that connects the top radiator hose to the head. Is this an accurate place?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:48 PM

Default Re: water temp rising with A/C on (93TurboSi)

the a/c's condensor is directly in front of your radiator. When you have thew a/c on, you radiator will get hotter air from the a/c condensor, nto to mention the i/c is blocking airflow too.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Re: water temp rising with A/C on (UberTeg)

actually no. my radiator and A/c condenosr side by side and the air from A/C doesn't go anywhere near my radiator. I think Integras are like you described because they have a long radiator that stretches all the way across the front of the engine bay. but not civics
Old 04-14-2003, 08:24 PM

ahhh my bad, you are right

*bump*
Old 04-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93TurboSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are these temps bad. any suggestions on what else i can do to get the temp down so i can use my A/C in the hot GA summers.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you have most coolant stuff already done.

what kinda fluid mix are you doing?

a good all around setup that works in MY climate (sunny cali weather) is 1 bottle redline water wetter, 10-20% honda coolant, the rest is distilled water.

the delsol radiator might not be enough. I went from a dual core generic radiator to an itr radiator. the itr RD. make the car run a lil hoter.

if you have the cash a pwr or similar radiator might be good.

but redline water wetter has done miracles on many cars for keeping the temp down
Old 04-14-2003, 11:52 PM

Default Re: water temp rising with A/C on (Bob-DC2)

I just run 50/50 prestone and tap water?

I wonder if because my intercooler is so big(27in*13in*2in) that the air flow it needs just isn't there when on the highway so maybe hooking up a switch that would allow me to just keep the fan on all the time whenever the A/C is on would help. then again if the temp is up the fan will be on any way. I had the same problem last year and i thought for sure the bigger radiator would solve my problem. I'll try the water wetter.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:01 AM

I was reading about the water wetter and it has a whole lot of great information on cooling systems. I think i maybe just running to much antifreeze in the mix