Notices

wastegate sparking...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wastegate sparking...

So I fired up my car tonight to see if everything was working (due to problems posted )......My buddy noticed that whenever I would rev the motor the wastegate would arch to the valve cover. I'm running a drage mainfold and a tial wastgate...
I have the ground for the valve cover hooked up along with the tranny ground.,......any idea's? why would the wastegate arch with the valve cover???? thanks

Modified by b16ahybrid at 9:43 AM 2/5/2006
Old 02-05-2006, 12:37 AM

Default Re: wastegate sparking... (b16ahybrid)

im an aircraft electrican and the only thing i can think of is improper hook up or clearance between the waste gate and the valve cover too close. try putting some kind of nonconductive shield around the waste gate and recheck your grounds.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:49 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I fired up my car tonight to see if everything was working (due to problems posted )......My buddy noticed that whenever I would rev the motor the wastegate would arch to the valve cover. I'm running a drage mainfold and a tial wastgate...
I have the ground for the manifold hooked up along with the tranny ground.,......any idea's? why would the wastegate arch with the valve cover???? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, why do you have a ground for your manifold??
Old 02-05-2006, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wastegate sparking... (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Um, why do you have a ground for your manifold?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe he means the valve cover ground? I'd listen to the first guy...engineers are pretty clever
Old 02-05-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Re: wastegate sparking... (turboteg2nv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboteg2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe he means the valve cover ground? I'd listen to the first guy...engineers are pretty clever </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I meant.....the valve cover ground....
The clearance is very minimal it's almost touching......
It just seams strange that the wg and valve cover would arch.....so it's nothing to worry about?
Old 02-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt worry about it...neither the al housing or valvecover will melt. you might get some marks on the wg, nothing to worry about.

q:

do you have the engine harness ground connected? its the ground coming out of your harness with the thermostat plug. it should be grounded on the 10mm bolt on the thermostat.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn I hate grounding problems. I wish I could figure out why my voltage drops below a certain rpm
Old 02-05-2006, 10:35 AM

Default Re: wastegate sparking... (turbotommy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotommy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt worry about it...neither the al housing or valvecover will melt. you might get some marks on the wg, nothing to worry about.

q:

do you have the engine harness ground connected? its the ground coming out of your harness with the thermostat plug. it should be grounded on the 10mm bolt on the thermostat.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I will have to double check that, I believe it is grounded...
Old 02-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe u have a hole in a spark plug wire

i had a whole in my dizzy once. shocked the **** out of myself. it would arc to the ic piping.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Re: wastegate sparking... (pip9)

The arch does get bigger if I rev the motor up...it doesn't look like it arches at idle.....
Old 02-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wastegate sparking... (turbotommy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotommy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt worry about it...neither the al housing or valvecover will melt. you might get some marks on the wg, nothing to worry about.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i hope ur not serious or ur a fuckn idiot. obviously its not suppose to do that. what if it sparks like that with the hood closed while ur sitting on it. zap! not too smart.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well besides safety problems, you'll be experiencing performance problems if your electrical system isn't properly grounded. Make any more progress with this thing yet?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plug wires
Old 02-07-2006, 05:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboteg2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well besides safety problems, you'll be experiencing performance problems if your electrical system isn't properly grounded. Make any more progress with this thing yet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the wiring harness is grounded, the relay for the fan is grounded..
I didn't notice any sparking today?? Not sure why...
I opened up the ecu and everything looked fine, still no codes.
I rechecked all the wiring to sensors etc and all seems fine....the only sensor I question is the knock sensor...it looks like there is two wires coming from the plug but only one wire going to the sensor. Looks like one was cut at the plug...
The fan still doesn't kick on by itself....I let the car warm up to operating temp and the fan never kicked on so I ran a wire to it to turn it on...the car seemed to cool down real fast...(from 1/2 way up the gauge to just bairly warm in under 2 minutes....now I'm questioning the accuracy of the engine temp gauge (I have to buy an autometer coolant temp gauge now otherwise i'm going to constantly worry).....I unhooked the wire to see if the fan would kick on after the temp got back up but it wouldn't go past 1/2 way and no fan????

Vac is at 12-14 with the idle at about 1000rpm, if I up the idle to about 1600rpm then it goes to 20hg....I hope it's just because the rings haven't seated completely yet...although they should be.....(i'm not going to worry myself yet)....This is turning into one big problem with probably a lot of cures before I'm done....

I ask myself...why did I sell a perfectly good running car and go this route?????
Thanks for all the advice and help from everybody.....it's keeping me sane with all the possible solutions..

Btw, I don't drive this car so I'm not cruising around with all these problems lol
Old 02-09-2006, 01:49 PM

bump