Notices

Walbro 190LPH pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Walbro 190LPH pump issue

Putting it here as it is technically relating to forced induction. Well, it's on a turbo civic anyhow.. So I installed a Walbro 190 when i boosted the EG and the pump ran great for a couple days then I noticed on Neptune I was running lean in parts of the map, then it started sputtering under boost a bit later, then died altogether. Long story short, I swapped to my old stock pump and car ran fine. You could easily tell it was struggling to deliver the demand I had for it, but was running. Now my question would be; what happened with the walbro? It still primed, no problem. It was still delivering fuel to the injectors. It just kinda fizzled out. Like if it just lost full delivery pressure or something. Anyone have an idea as to what may have happened?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: Walbro 190LPH pump issue

Walbro fuel pumps do fail on occasion. The failure rate is even higher with the influx of Chinese copies of the Walbro products. Where did you get your Walbro 190 pump ???
Old 03-12-2018, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Walbro fuel pumps do fail on occasion. The failure rate is even higher with the influx of Chinese copies of the Walbro products. Where did you get your Walbro 190 pump ???
I ordered it online. Authorized dealer from amazon. It wasn't overly expensive, but not chinese copy cheap. Paid 90 dollars shipped. I emailed the company and they said it's warranted and will replace it, I just have to send it back to them. I am totally stumped as to what happened here lol! I got into a mild debate with the tow driver in regards to this being a fuel issue as he claimed to be a 10 year experienced ASE certified tech and doubted a fuel problem.. He said if the fuel pump is priming, it isn't the problem. He offered a reasonable explanation of a clogged filter due to sediment stir up from changing the pump, but doubted fuel delivery as the problem altogether. I didn't feel that was the case though. It worked and ran perfectly until the moment of death.. His other stab was the pump not getting enough voltage to work to full capability (?) New one on me. Either it has power or it doesn't, or so I thought. It was delivering fuel to the rail as proven by me relieving pressure AT the rail twice upon inspection at home; just not enough pressure to run the engine. **shrug** I swapped to the old one finally and it worked just fine. The pressure loss theory is accurate, it clearly did that. Maybe that was what he was trying to state with the voltage loss explanation (?) I've never seen a failure like this and just trying to make some sense of it.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:15 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I ordered it online. Authorized dealer from amazon. It wasn't overly expensive, but not chinese copy cheap. Paid 90 dollars shipped. I emailed the company and they said it's warranted and will replace it, I just have to send it back to them. I am totally stumped as to what happened here lol! I got into a mild debate with the tow driver in regards to this being a fuel issue as he claimed to be a 10 year experienced ASE certified tech and doubted a fuel problem.. He said if the fuel pump is priming, it isn't the problem. He offered a reasonable explanation of a clogged filter due to sediment stir up from changing the pump, but doubted fuel delivery as the problem altogether. I didn't feel that was the case though. It worked and ran perfectly until the moment of death.. His other stab was the pump not getting enough voltage to work to full capability (?) New one on me. Either it has power or it doesn't, or so I thought. It was delivering fuel to the rail as proven by me relieving pressure AT the rail twice upon inspection at home; just not enough pressure to run the engine. **shrug** I swapped to the old one finally and it worked just fine. The pressure loss theory is accurate, it clearly did that. Maybe that was what he was trying to state with the voltage loss explanation (?) I've never seen a failure like this and just trying to make some sense of it.
Well, the 190lph was never a high pressure pump to begin with ( the litre per hour didn't determine if it is made for high pressure or not, it's based you the part number). We used those a lot in the DSM world because the entire fuel system want nearly as high pressure as the Honda b & d series. I'd go to the 255lph 342 pump before getting another 190lph. You may not be running a "lot of boost", but I'll put it like this: I use the 255 G42 on my NA car because of the fact that it is the model made th or higher fuel presure, (like Hondas are) and that was over 10 years ago. (still running)

As was stated. Get your pump from a quality source , but also make sure it is the higher pressure version.

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-13-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Well, the 190kph was never a high pressure pump to begin with ( the litre per hour didn't determine if it is made for high pressure or not, it's based you the part number). We used those a lot in the DSM world because the entire fuel system want nearly as high pressure as the Honda b & d series. I'd go to the 255lph 342 pump before getting another 190lph. You may not be running a "lot of boost", but I'll put it like this: I use the 255 G42 on my NA car because of the fact that it is the model made th or higher fuel presure, (like Hondas are) and that was over 10 years ago. (still running)

As was stated. Get your pump from a quality source , but also make sure it is the higher pressure version.
Roger That! I used a 190 in my old 89 GT Ford probe pushing 16 psi on the IHI turbo. Did fine. I suppose a dud can come about no matter what. I'l ask the seller if I can just RMA that unit and pay the difference for a 255. Thanks for the input, folks!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

You will want the GSS-342 pump (high pressure 255 lph) Txdragon... the 190 lph pump is a GSS-250.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
You will want the GSS-342 pump (high pressure 255 lph) Txdragon... the 190 lph pump is a GSS-250.
Co-sign