Notices

VTEC with turbo? pro's and con's does it work well, whos right??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 06:46 PM
New User

Location: work in Tennessee and live in Georgia, from Tampa, Florida, USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC with turbo? pro's and con's does it work well, whos right??

are turbos better /easier with nonvtec or vtec engines, when i told my friend that a nonvtec engine worked well with turbos cus of the low compression and longering gearing and that i didnt really care about vtec, he basicly started this topic... i mean, i know u can have a turbo and run vtec, im just confused on how much harder wold it be to maintain one on a vtec engine

this is what he tells me
actually Aunie, you are 100% wrong...vtec is perfectly fine to run with turbo's when you hear people talking bad about it, is because of the lag....well that is because it is people that are used to having vtec in the first place, those people without it never knew what it felt like in the first place...Having vtec inabled just gives you that much more power then boost finally hits. And as for the valves staying open...that is the whole reason why companies like Crower and Skunk2 create turbo cams for cars with vtec....it's harder to tune a car that still has vtec inabled, so most people don't mess with it, but the advantages of having it still are hugely there if you have someone who knows what the heck they are doing.
Old 05-26-2002, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC with turbo? pro's and con's does it work well, whos right?? (Andrea_Aunie)

Aunie,
first of all, personally IMO, the lag is nothing in comparison to what your car transform into at 4000 rpm...it's insane...I never lost a race because of a lag, once you drive a turbo car you'll understand the characteristic so that you'll downshift in a race to where your turbo is basically fully spooled when you floor it..

the reason why people sugegsting LS over a VTEC is becasue..

1. LS long block are cheap about 500-700 compare to 1500 plus for a GSR
2. LS has longer gearing, you'll hit full boost at first while a GS-R has a short gearing, but in a race whenre the LS and GS-R has the same power and driver skills, the LS will pull first but the GS-R will catch up at the top of third into fourth geear, this is based on experience..
3. Lower compresion, but 10:1 is still okay, I know personally a few GS-R with turbo that has lasted years.., always use a super premium gas and you'll be fine
4. LS has a slightly bigger rod to stroke ratio, more torque adn a lil bigger displacement thatn the GS-R

VTEC will work well with turbo, it does....every drag racers that I know run B18C1 head

so good luck.. turbo cams can help, but not necessary, it all depends on what your goals are when it comes to WHP or ET's

good luck

stan

Old 05-26-2002, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC with turbo? pro's and con's does it work well, whos right?? (Flamenco-t)

Stan your a pimp bro!
Old 05-26-2002, 08:17 PM
New User

Location: work in Tennessee and live in Georgia, from Tampa, Florida, USA
Default Re: VTEC with turbo? pro's and con's does it work well, whos right?? (turbocoupe)

the last paragraph in my post is what he stated not me.. just to clarrify