Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo with vtec?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo with vtec?

I want to j-swap my 91 crx. The engine I’ll be using will most likely be a J35A4. Based on my research all j-series engines have vtec. I want to add turbo but, I was told that with vtec, the engine would blow with a turbo. I was also told that turbo was useless with vtec but yet, I see videos on YouTube with j-swaps with turbo; videos claiming Vtec turbo. Is there a way to remove vtec from an engine?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo with vtec?

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but VTEC alone does not blow up turbo'd motors... If you research what VTEC actually is, you'll see that it actually allows more air into a combustion chamber at higher RPMs. The reason some people eliminate VTEC is because they run cams that basically keep the engine in "VTEC" during the entire power band and not switching around 5500ish RPM. With that being said, it all depends on what you want to do with your car. Having VTEC allows you have better gas mileage, lower emissions, etc. at lower RPMs, then wake the motor up at higher. If you plan to only drag your car, eliminating VTEC might be a good idea, however I do not believe any cams or VTEC elimination kits are available for the J-series as of yet. You "could" figure something out as to how to "lock" your rocker arms together and be able to run in VTEC all the time, I guess... But to each his own.

All in all, you can absolutely have a reliable J35A4 turbo'd VTEC CRX if you want to. If you want to ensure you don't blow it up, keep oil in it, upgrade your fuel pump and injectors, and get a real good tune on something like AEM...

Hope this helps a little. I've been running a turbo'd B16A for years and have never "blown" my motor up because of VTEC. That's complete nonsense.